• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview for 1 Months Contract????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In todays IT industry the first 3 laws of recruitment are as follows :-

1. The success rate of the IT worker to secure meaningful employment or contracts, is inversely proportional to the depth & breadth of the skills they posess.

2. The greater the depth & breadth of skills an IT candidate, the more confused Human Resources and Recruitment agents become.

3. The success and relevance of the chosen candidate is inversely proportional to the degree of HR involvement.

Here endeth the first 3 laws of recruitment.
    Last edited by BobTheCrate; 29 June 2006, 10:24.

Comment

RCs and HR alike were equally confused when they first discovered the techy expression, 'KISS - Keep it simple stupid'.

So impressed by this expression, and without having the foggiest understanding of its true meaning or nature, RCs and HR boffins alike adopted it for their own use believing it to elevate their own sense of cleverness. And have been praising themselves for being so clever ever since.
      Last edited by BobTheCrate; 29 June 2006, 10:45. Reason: Spelling mistake corrected incase Fleety is lurking.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
        RCs and HR alike were equally confused when they first discovered the techy expression, 'KISS - Keep it simple stupid'.

So impressed by this expression, and without having the foggiest understanding of its true meaning or nature, RCs and HR boffins alike adopted it for their own use beleiving it to elevate their own sense of cleverness. And have been praising themselves for being so clever ever since.
        Down with HR.
        Bring back Personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
          "I work with computers because I have a passion for cumpiting and networking."

Is this a Gay thing? do you live in Brighton?
          LOL. At first I took offence then noticed the spelling mistakes I made, so no harm done.

No, I don't live in brighton and I am not gay. I do have a thing for Trolls in poko dot bikinis though. Something about that green skin gets my joysticks active.

Another interview coming up for a short term contract with a company I worked with before in EC1. Wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios
            Maybe, I should just make myself a guru techie/IT manager for every contract that I have worked on, and when its time for the interview, confuse the idiot interviewing me with everything that I know. Did that ounce. Some guy interviewing me asked a soft question, what software I would use to protect a network. Answer was Proxycap, or a combination of TORCP with Privoxy, for online gaming a hijacked socks 5 proxy server. Could go into it more, but confused the duck out of him. Did not get the contract, but embaressed him for his lack of networking skills.
            The reason you didnt get the contract is that you know **** all about network security.

The software you use to protect a commercial network is :

A firewall. Size and complexity determined by the size and complexity of their network.

IDS.

Antivirus. D'oh.

If they want secure remote connection then use VPN either with certificates or hardware tokens.

Internal web filtering software that proxies outgoing connections and filters content. Not just by URL but also on page content, Active X controls, Scripts etc. Preferably with regularly updated URL lists and signatures.

You're being interviewed for a serious commercial contract, why the hell are you pratting on about networked gaming? And you absolutely do not suggest to the client that they want to start hijacking other peoples servers, for any reason.

You didnt get the contract because the interviewer didnt understand you, he understood you had no clue about security.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Dave why are you wasting your time replying to this nob?

He sounds like a 14 year old on school holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                Dave why are you wasting your time replying to this nob?

He sounds like a 14 year old on school holidays.
                Cos I'm in a bad mood and venting at irritating twats is better than doing any real work
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios
                  Some guy interviewing me asked a soft question, what software I would use to protect a network. Answer was Proxycap, or a combination of TORCP with Privoxy, for online gaming a hijacked socks 5 proxy server. Could go into it more, but confused the duck out of him. Did not get the contract, but embaressed him for his lack of networking skills.
                  Sorry just spitting, the market seems really bad at the moment. If it is this bad next year, I will have to ditch IT for something more profitable.
                  The market is fine. If you know what you're doing, of course, which you clearly don't. The only person you embarrassed in that interview was yourself. I am willling to bet my house and half its contents that they are still laughing about you now. Stick to pizzas, and try not to lecture the customers on what goes best with pepperoni, you'll just look like a complete twat all over again.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Sounds like he'll be trying to convince Alan Sugar he once ran a multi-million pound IT company in the next series...

Aged 14, of course.
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

you l337 h4x0r5 been reading my apprentice application again - doh - best change my pops and socks and my fire stud partition

Comment

Working...
                      X