• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview for 1 Months Contract????"

Collapse

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    Oh FFS, drop the l337 sh!t for starters. No one is impressed, and I know for a fact that if you go around with that attitidue no-one is giving ya a job, cause it's not just what you know, it's just as much about how you present it. And your presentation is probably why you're struggling for a contract in a relatively decent market.

My advice; you want into security then stop contracting for a few years, get a permie job with the opportunity to get into security/networking or whatever and use that experience and study at the same time. After a few years you'll be beating back the agents with a big tulipey stick. And FFS lose the attitude, you're nowhere near as good as you think you are.
    I agree, its good advice. The problem is I only formed my owned Ltd Co recently and not sure how it would affect me if I went perm at this stage.

Am tempted at the mo, just to drag through this year with the ltd co not making much money, and next year I will understand a bit more about the ltd co.

I know there are all accounts to send to ir and ch at the end of year and it would feel like a waste, if I went through all this grief setting up the ltd co, for it not have even been paid. Still waiting for a business account acceptance from a bank.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by chunkymonkey
    or hows about you take some of that "major" inheritance - go take a decent degree (maybe in computers or english language) and form your own security company, hire in someone who knows what their doing and maybe then you could learn a thing or 2.

and selling harware in london - do you own a white van by any chance?

taken shamelessly from wikipedia

Main article: Hardware hacker

Another type of hacker is one who creates novel hardware modifications. At the most basic end of this spectrum are those who make frequent changes to the hardware in their computers using standard components, or make semi-cosmetic themed modifications to the appearance of the machine. This type of Hacker modifes his/her computer for performance needs and/or attractiveness. These changes often include adding memory, storage or LEDs and cold cathode tubes for light effects. These people often show off their talents in contests, and many enjoy LAN parties.

got any nice LEDs
    Is that not called overlocking? Cap Birds Eye

Leave a comment:

• chunkymonkey
    replied
    or hows about you take some of that "major" inheritance - go take a decent degree (maybe in computers or english language) and form your own security company, hire in someone who knows what their doing and maybe then you could learn a thing or 2.

and selling harware in london - do you own a white van by any chance?

taken shamelessly from wikipedia

Main article: Hardware hacker

Another type of hacker is one who creates novel hardware modifications. At the most basic end of this spectrum are those who make frequent changes to the hardware in their computers using standard components, or make semi-cosmetic themed modifications to the appearance of the machine. This type of Hacker modifes his/her computer for performance needs and/or attractiveness. These changes often include adding memory, storage or LEDs and cold cathode tubes for light effects. These people often show off their talents in contests, and many enjoy LAN parties.

got any nice LEDs

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Helios
    Not worth listening to

How apt.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Helios
    If you think I am a 14 year old noob then why are you wasting your time replying, all mighty guru?

Im 24 and totally mad haxor with a major inheritance. Despite the fun am trying hard to make it in the harware market in London with some success.

Its noobish to assume anothers age from their attitude. I live to hack and crack and any career that allows this will serve me along the way.
    Oh FFS, drop the l337 sh!t for starters. No one is impressed, and I know for a fact that if you go around with that attitidue no-one is giving ya a job, cause it's not just what you know, it's just as much about how you present it. And your presentation is probably why you're struggling for a contract in a relatively decent market.

My advice; you want into security then stop contracting for a few years, get a permie job with the opportunity to get into security/networking or whatever and use that experience and study at the same time. After a few years you'll be beating back the agents with a big tulipey stick. And FFS lose the attitude, you're nowhere near as good as you think you are.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Sounds like he'll be trying to convince Alan Sugar he once ran a multi-million pound IT company in the next series...

Aged 14, of course.
    By the time I am finished. Alan Sugar will have to convince he even existed because I do not recall ever seeing him. As for money. Will be producing loads of fake bank notes soon. So screw the pound.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Dave why are you wasting your time replying to this nob?

He sounds like a 14 year old on school holidays.
    If you think I am a 14 year old noob then why are you wasting your time replying, all mighty guru?

Im 24 and totally mad haxor with a major inheritance. Despite the fun am trying hard to make it in the harware market in London with some success.

Its noobish to assume anothers age from their attitude. I live to hack and crack and any career that allows this will serve me along the way.

Leave a comment:

• chunkymonkey
    replied
    you l337 h4x0r5 been reading my apprentice application again - doh - best change my pops and socks and my fire stud partition

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Sounds like he'll be trying to convince Alan Sugar he once ran a multi-million pound IT company in the next series...

Aged 14, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Some guy interviewing me asked a soft question, what software I would use to protect a network. Answer was Proxycap, or a combination of TORCP with Privoxy, for online gaming a hijacked socks 5 proxy server. Could go into it more, but confused the duck out of him. Did not get the contract, but embaressed him for his lack of networking skills.
    Sorry just spitting, the market seems really bad at the moment. If it is this bad next year, I will have to ditch IT for something more profitable.
    The market is fine. If you know what you're doing, of course, which you clearly don't. The only person you embarrassed in that interview was yourself. I am willling to bet my house and half its contents that they are still laughing about you now. Stick to pizzas, and try not to lecture the customers on what goes best with pepperoni, you'll just look like a complete twat all over again.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn

Cos I'm in a bad mood and venting at irritating twats is better than doing any real work

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Maybe, I should just make myself a guru techie/IT manager for every contract that I have worked on, and when its time for the interview, confuse the idiot interviewing me with everything that I know. Did that ounce. Some guy interviewing me asked a soft question, what software I would use to protect a network. Answer was Proxycap, or a combination of TORCP with Privoxy, for online gaming a hijacked socks 5 proxy server. Could go into it more, but confused the duck out of him. Did not get the contract, but embaressed him for his lack of networking skills.
    The reason you didnt get the contract is that you know **** all about network security.

The software you use to protect a commercial network is :

A firewall. Size and complexity determined by the size and complexity of their network.

IDS.

Antivirus. D'oh.

If they want secure remote connection then use VPN either with certificates or hardware tokens.

Internal web filtering software that proxies outgoing connections and filters content. Not just by URL but also on page content, Active X controls, Scripts etc. Preferably with regularly updated URL lists and signatures.

You're being interviewed for a serious commercial contract, why the hell are you pratting on about networked gaming? And you absolutely do not suggest to the client that they want to start hijacking other peoples servers, for any reason.

You didnt get the contract because the interviewer didnt understand you, he understood you had no clue about security.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    "I work with computers because I have a passion for cumpiting and networking."

Is this a Gay thing? do you live in Brighton?
    LOL. At first I took offence then noticed the spelling mistakes I made, so no harm done.

No, I don't live in brighton and I am not gay. I do have a thing for Trolls in poko dot bikinis though. Something about that green skin gets my joysticks active.

Another interview coming up for a short term contract with a company I worked with before in EC1. Wish me luck.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    RCs and HR alike were equally confused when they first discovered the techy expression, 'KISS - Keep it simple stupid'.

So impressed by this expression, and without having the foggiest understanding of its true meaning or nature, RCs and HR boffins alike adopted it for their own use beleiving it to elevate their own sense of cleverness. And have been praising themselves for being so clever ever since.
    Down with HR.
    Bring back Personnel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X