• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snow watch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just let some air out of your front tyres. Problem solved?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Kind of contradict yourself there. I have a RWD with nearly 400bhp automatic and I can tell you, snow is not much fun...
      Not really, I am just staing a car can be fun in the snow; although FWD is the way to go to get anywhere in the snow, RWD and 4x4 is much more fun, I apologise for suggesting otherwise.

I had a RWD almost 400 saloon not too long ago, and found it wasn't the car that was killing the joy, but it's safety systems that you couldn't properly turn off.

If I had a GT86 and a drop of snow, I'd be having a whole tulip load of fun in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        Just let some air out of your front tyres. Problem solved?
        You're are joking, or course?

On snow, you want narrow tyres, not low profile, as you want as much weight going into as small a contact area as possible; watch the loonatics in Finland close hand, and that's what you'll see on their cars, most not studded as well.

If you let out the air, you give more contact area, and a whole tulip load more understeer too.

If you had winter tyres on a FWD car, you'd not appreciate anymore understeer as normal, in fact it would make the car more pointy, with more front end grip. So if you didn't have winter tyres on the rear, you'd be in a hedge, or a bonnet decoration on a Volvo Tipper truck...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          You're are joking, or course?
          Isn't most of this thread joking?

Comment

Less joking, more made up.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Less joking, more made up.
              Please just put winter tyres on the front you dumb funk god botherer

Please. Just so you can meet your creator in time for Xmas

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I'm a coward.
                The GT has a tendency to slide in the dry (was designed that way) so don't know what it's like in the snow.
                Well you should be fine then - Snow is wet isn't it?
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  Not really, I am just staing a car can be fun in the snow; although FWD is the way to go to get anywhere in the snow, RWD and 4x4 is much more fun, I apologise for suggesting otherwise.

I had a RWD almost 400 saloon not too long ago, and found it wasn't the car that was killing the joy, but it's safety systems that you couldn't properly turn off.
                  No problems. Actually RWD can be fun in the snow. I remeber many moons ago having a Ford Capri 3.0l and it snowed overnight and off we went down the country lanes. Great fun was had. Actually fresh snow isn't too bad, its when its been there a while, melted, got compacted and then snowed again on top that its a real killer. A friend just sent me some pictures of his latest mishap in the (fresh) snow in Austria in a 4wd Range Rover. Coming down a steep slope with a bend, the car lost grip and he flipped it although luckily no-one was hurt.

As for winter tyres, they're okay on the snow but on ice they're just as lethal as normal tyres. I remember in the AMG coming up to a bend one night, slowly naturally, and turning the steering wheel but the car just continued straight on. Change underwear time that was...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Well you should be fine then - Snow is wet isn't it?
                    You seem to have become a cretin recently.
                    Or maybe I just hadn't noticed it before.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's suddenly gone all white here in the NE
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X