• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do in my situation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Hatch battoned anyway - just done my weekly shop at Lidl for a mere 20 quid
    Sounds like you won't be making caviar sandwiches this week

Comment

You slaved away as a Test Analyst for 5 years and got laid off. You didnt use the opportunity to gain niche skills that would help you gain advantage over cheap imported labour. You are now trying to desperately get a job as project manager and not having succeeded you are blaming some poor fantasy immigrant who is supposed to have stolen that great job that was waiting just for you to pop up and grab.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        You didnt use the opportunity to gain niche skills that would help you gain advantage over cheap imported labour.
        He did his best but it turns out that letting people piss on your shoes does not help get a better job

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          You slaved away as a Test Analyst for 5 years and got laid off. You didnt use the opportunity to gain niche skills that would help you gain advantage over cheap imported labour. You are now trying to desperately get a job as project manager and not having succeeded you are blaming some poor fantasy immigrant who is supposed to have stolen that great job that was waiting just for you to pop up and grab.
          Guys, guys, don't be so hard on good old gruffy here.

Let's try to keep it positive, do not kick the man while he's down.

Don't you think that under normal circumstances 5 years of experience in the field after graduation would be the necessary minimum to acquire and solidify skills and gradually move into management role and coaching of the freshers?

With the rapid changes since 2007 everything went upside down ... graduates go straight into dilettantissimo style management and "strategy" and all for the level of pay = to former junior data analyst. The only skills they have a chance to acquire are politicking and the rules of blaming game.

I for one admire experienced tester (I am not sure about details) ... and hope that he will get the management job one day soon.

Last edited by mos; 18 November 2012, 20:06.
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Take the job. The market is difficult. Better to upset your employer by leaving early than end up without a job.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

As it became difficult to get job in this competitive world, In this situation I would take the job.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Someone agreed with me

+2

Also things go dead in Dec. and Jan. you could end up with nothing, things get delayed etc.

Best time to look is mid to end of March, start at the beginning of April the finance year.

I find projects kicking off beginning of April are a lot more organised.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

take the job, push for training & opportunity.

try for new job again end Q1. cite 20% pay cut as reason.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Surely the market for testers isn't that bad in the UK? or are you lacking some of the skills that they're asking for?
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      take the job, push for training & opportunity.

try for new job again end Q1. cite 20% pay cut as reason.
                      Good game plan - I like your thinking. Gets me through the season, and gives me a good genuine reason when I am actively looking around Easter time, and gives me breathing space to do a good job on my next role. Money is important, but so is my reputation. (Internet fantasy not counted obviously!!)

Got plenty of experience in my last role - plenty of certified training (ITIL plus, HP QC Admin, Prince2, etc), but the challenge is finding a role where I can use the additional skills I have gained.

I have effectively got a test function up and running from ground zero, introducing the templates, working closely with the PM's etc. The challenge I have is that this kind of role is not available in the area all the time, it is more of a one-off, hence looking to diversify into project management.

It is tough out there - I would urge any die-hard contractors on the bench to look into permie options, but make sure that you just have 4 weeks on that contract with a weeks notice within the first 6 months.......

Comment

Working...
                      X