• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for lady cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    drop-handlebar road bike, so really got no idea how it should feel.
    You have at least 3 positions on a drop bar to get used to: top, hoods, drops - if you have a good LBS they will measure you and get a bike that fits. Can you borrow one from someone to have a go? Where are you?

Why are you buying a new bike? What are your goals? What is your current bike? What is your budget?

Comment

'should post faster'

on my profile

quite

thankyou cuk

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
        You have at least 3 positions on a drop bar to get used to: top, hoods, drops - if you have a good LBS they will measure you and get a bike that fits. Can you borrow one from someone to have a go? Where are you?

Why are you buying a new bike? What are your goals? What is your current bike? What is your budget?
        New bike because:

a) Signed up for London 100. If I get a place I need to go considerably faster than I currently am if I want to complete it in the 9 hours and still have time to eat/pee/repair punctures etc.
        b) Old bike done 15K miles and is starting to rattle and groan. Last full service ended up costing me £300, so figure I'd be as well to put the dosh towards a new one.
        c) Since when did you have to justify a new bike?

Borrowing is a possibility - will give some thought.

Budget - haven't really got one - I always like a bargain, so if I can find a 2K bike for 1200, that's much better than 1K on a bike that hasn't been reduced I guess anything between about £700 and £1500 as long as I'm happy that what I've spent is worth it.

Comment

New bike because:

a) Signed up for London 100. If I get a place I need to go considerably faster than I currently am if I want to complete it in the 9 hours and still have time to eat/pee/repair punctures etc.
          b) Old bike done 15K miles and is starting to rattle and groan. Last full service ended up costing me £300, so figure I'd be as well to put the dosh towards a new one.
          c) Since when did you have to justify a new bike?

Borrowing is a possibility - will give some thought.

Budget - haven't really got one - I always like a bargain, so if I can find a 2K bike for 1200, that's much better than 1K on a bike that hasn't been reduced I guess anything between about £700 and £1500 as long as I'm happy that what I've spent is worth it.
          £300 for a service -- bleedin ell, please learn how to do ths yourself (although brillo still pays to get his punctures fixed). You know the eating/peeing bit can be done on the move .... What is the longest time you have currently done on the bike? A new bike wont make you faster - 7k taught me that

If I were to go back I would have got my bike fit measurements and gone titanium frame made to measure (~£1500), 1200 combo clincher zipps and an adamo saddle = bike for life. Carbon is overrated. Get some decent shorts, figure out your lube requirements, then concentrate on the training - build up some hours on the road. I have a turbo + dvds (spinervals, sufferfest and ricky ventura) - but maybe ott for london 100. I have entered too - but they generally favour the foreigners over the locals.

Comment

£300 for a service -- bleedin ell, please learn how to do ths yourself (although brillo still pays to get his punctures fixed). You know the eating/peeing bit can be done on the move .... What is the longest time you have currently done on the bike? A new bike wont make you faster - 7k taught me that

If I were to go back I would have got my bike fit measurements and gone titanium frame made to measure (~£1500), 1200 combo clincher zipps and an adamo saddle = bike for life. Carbon is overrated. Get some decent shorts, figure out your lube requirements, then concentrate on the training - build up some hours on the road. I have a turbo + dvds (spinervals, sufferfest and ricky ventura) - but maybe ott for london 100. I have entered too - but they generally favour the foreigners over the locals.
            Done 100 miles in a day a couple of times before, and have done Lejog, so time on the bike is not a problem. But iit's always taken me all day - 9 hours is the challenge.

Comment

That'll be Dallas then

I'm doing my Christmas list.

Is there any real advantage in getting a ladies' bike rather than a men's?

Much more choice of men's frame - apart from the pinker colour scheme, is there any reason to go for a ladies specific model?

I'm 5'7" and always ridden a man's bike (with a girl's saddle) -what am I missing?
              No.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

the only bl@@dy proper advice in 2 pages - is everyone bored or what, bring gentile back and they'll all clear off
                Now wonder you usually lurk. cuk is not for proper advice - its a bear pit.

Anyway I was going to reply along the lines of DaveB's reply. But he got there first. My sister is currently buying a bike to do Lands End->John O'Groats. Needs a ladies bike but this limits the range alot.

Anyway - how is your winter rowing going? Or are you just looking at the eye candy?

Comment

they generally favour the foreigners over the locals.
                  But you are a foreigner - "Notherner in London". I think they should all be sent back the other side of Watford.....

Comment

I did 60 km yesterday; I should have managed it in under 2 hours except for a puncture. Luckily I had my spare inner tube and a CO2 cannister at the ready so I sorted it in 10 minutes or so, but having stopped and got cold I couldn't get the speed up again.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Most bikes now have a sloping top rail, which makes it easier for both women and men to ride them. One of the ladies at our kids school has a mens PlanetX which was £1200. I have a link somewhere for some good discount 2012 bikes, with proper discounts.

However, if you're running a LTD, and are registered for VAT, why not consider a £2k bike for which you'll get £400 back in the form of the VAT. I have just bought a £3k Canondale, reduced to £2050, which ultimately cost £1600 and a bit. Half price really and it's a very, very good bike. All of this comes from company profits, so you'll also end up paying less corp tax (a further £320) and you can buy the bike back plenty cheapness after 3 years...

As for advice, go into a pukka bike shop and throw some questions at them. I ride over 150 miles a week, but know 10% of any one in the bike shop knows.

Comment

Working...
                      X