• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Endowment matures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Endowment taken out for first property sooooooooo long ago matures this December

Had all the usual "you policy is at risk" arse covering letters over the years - but as the mortgage is already paid off I kept it running for the life cover and as a savings scheme

Policy was to cover a £47500 mortgage (eeee houses were cheap in them days!)

Payout is £36595 so a 23% undershoot! and I remember at the time the bint who sold it suggested it should be worth £60000 at maturity on current projections

Feels like institutionalised mugging

What should I spend £36595 on?
    Just think yourself lucky. I got less than 50% what I paid into STANDARD LIFE.

NB. To newbie’s DO NOT TAKE OUT A POLICY with STANDARD LIFE!
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Just think yourself lucky. I got less than 50% what I paid into STANDARD LIFE.

NB. To newbie’s DO NOT TAKE OUT A POLICY with STANDARD LIFE 25 years ago!
      ftfy
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yep - we went down the misselling route a few years back when it all came to a head. Got back what we'd paid in, plus interest as dictated by whatever authority decides these things (but seemed fairly generous).

Comment

Getting less than you paid in is fraud in my view it should be at least what you paid in plus risk free interest rate.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Getting less than you paid in is fraud in my view it should be at least what you paid in plus risk free interest rate.
            Could you tell that to my pension provider?

Comment

I've got two endowments coming out in 2014\5. Both effectively 30% down on what was originally estimated. Was a total rip-off but I was young and naive when I took them out and by the time I realised what poor investments they were it was too late to get out and better to let them run to term. Still, they'll get me a nice motor and a house extension as the mortgage they were supposed to cover is long gone.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Endowment taken out for first property sooooooooo long ago matures this December

Had all the usual "you policy is at risk" arse covering letters over the years - but as the mortgage is already paid off I kept it running for the life cover and as a savings scheme

Policy was to cover a £47500 mortgage (eeee houses were cheap in them days!)

Payout is £36595 so a 23% undershoot! and I remember at the time the bint who sold it suggested it should be worth £60000 at maturity on current projections

Feels like institutionalised mugging

What should I spend £36595 on?
                I don't think thats anything to celebrate, you just lost 11 grand, what you should have done is gone down the mis-selling route when you had the chance, you would have got back what you paid plus interest to put you where you would have been if you had been interest only.

Comment

Never look back, always look forward; his mis selling ship has sailed, so concentrate on the bonus of suddenly having £37k to spend.

Personally, I'd buy many acres of woodlands nearby. As part of a plan B

Comment

Stick it on black.
                    No red!
                    No no black!!!!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      I'd save it all as I will need every penny now I'm permie
                      ftfy

Comment

Working...
                      X