• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Humps Vs Speed Cushions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    A speed hump covers the entire width of the road from one pavement to the other.

A speed cushion is a bump in the middle of the road with gaps either side. The idea is that emergency vehicles, which have a wider track (wheels are further apart width-wise) are unaffected and can still drive quickly over them. This also allows buses and white van drivers to race over them too unfortunately.
    Interesting to know!

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    How can governments still afford all this tulipe blocking up the roads and causing traffic jams? Wouldn't this crap be a good candidate for spending cuts?
    Maybe they have statistics showing the money saved through reduction in accidents covers the cost.
    Maybe they get to apply for funding from national government.

Would you rather have speed cameras?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Interesting to know!

Maybe they have statistics showing the money saved through reduction in accidents covers the cost.
      Maybe they get to apply for funding from national government.

Would you rather have speed cameras?
      I can't believe that stupid drivers are really dissuaded by speed bumps or humps or lumps or even mumps; only tough sanctions with removal of licences will really stop them, and even then I doubt it. As for speed cameras I think they have their place, which is in areas of high risk to pedestrians. I think most of them are actually revenue generators placed on quite safe patches of road.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Speed bumps? They are a minor inconvenience compared to the traffic calming measures round my way.

They block one half of the road and give priority to the other side. So you sit there like a mongo waiting to pass. And heaven forbid there is a traffic jam and EVERY SINGLE MONGO blocks the road up bumper to bumper, so traffic on the other side has to sit there and wait. The best bit? They've put it close to a football stadium.

On match day, one side of the road is fully blocked, meanwhile residents can't even drive in the opposite direction. STUPID COUNCIL TW.TS

Comment

A speed hump covers the entire width of the road from one pavement to the other.

A speed cushion is a bump in the middle of the road with gaps either side. The idea is that emergency vehicles, which have a wider track (wheels are further apart width-wise) are unaffected and can still drive quickly over them. This also allows buses and white van drivers to race over them too unfortunately.
          Or anyone who can actually drive and put a tyre each side, and I only have a mid sized car.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
            Speed bumps? They are a minor inconvenience compared to the traffic calming measures round my way.

They block one half of the road and give priority to the other side.
            I feel your pain, our house is the one just by a similar squeeze. Apparently if you come round the corner by the old peoples home at 60 everyone has to get out of your way regardless if they are already in the squeeze. Something that needs to be communicated by honking your horn and using language that makes granny blush. Traffic calming - don't make me laugh!

Combine that with weddings at the church or a family get together at the neighbours (She has a big family that all come over from Pakistan to visit granny at the same time, not surprised she does an excellent curry) and you end up with a serious traffic problem.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I can't believe that stupid drivers are really dissuaded by speed bumps or humps or lumps or even mumps; only tough sanctions with removal of licences will really stop them, and even then I doubt it.
              I dunno about that. Boy racers do still drive faster than everyone else on such roads BUT whereas before they might do 45 compared to everyone else's 30, with humps it might be 30 compared to everyone else's 20.

Also, idiots who love their cars are not keen on 'hurting' them. Those crappy after-market body kits would get knocked off pretty easily

Comment

In my lowered S2000 I have to take them at a crawl and with the wheel going over the middle of the bump (i.e. at an angle), for I fear just driving over as a normal car would would rip the sump off the bottom of the engine, and probably the exhaust too.

Fecking annoying, but the positive thing is that this generally causes a big traffic jam of 4x4 ists who are used to driving over them as if nothing was there.

So it's great if you live in an area with lots of sports cars.
                Last edited by VectraMan; 25 October 2012, 10:43.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post

They block one half of the road and give priority to the other side. So you sit there like a mongo waiting to pass. And heaven forbid there is a traffic jam and EVERY SINGLE MONGO blocks the road up bumper to bumper, so traffic on the other side has to sit there and wait. The best bit? They've put it close to a football stadium.

On match day, one side of the road is fully blocked, meanwhile residents can't even drive in the opposite direction. STUPID COUNCIL TW.TS
                  Yes, they have these everywhere. People park on one side on a bend so you can't actually see if anyone is coming in the priority direction until it is too late, then you can't reverse back because five cars have followed you.

I would rather they rip out all of these things and have people with speed guns and lifetime bans for speeders.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I would rather they rip out all of these things and have people with guns
                    ftfy

regards

AtW
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      In my lowered S2000
                      It's not the council's fault you have a stupid car.

Comment

Working...
                      X