• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compulsive liars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    WTF goes on in these peoples minds?
    I knew a guy like that, always talking about when he was in the SAS (he wasn't) and so on.

What amazed me is they don't have the ability to see that people can see it's BS and are taking the P ("tell us again about the time you saved the embassy hostages")

Comment

I love people like this (my brother in law is, to a smaller scale) - I think it is great fun to out BS them. When they claim to have been in the SAS in Bosnia I nod and say that it was a tough place but I prefered to the time when I was trapped in Moscow.

When something suprising goes wrong and they claim 'Ah, yes. I wondered at the time if you had thought of that' I always like to reply 'Yes, I wondered at the time why you did not say anything'.

It is a hoot!
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I love people like this (my brother in law is, to a smaller scale) - I think it is great fun to out BS them. When they claim to have been in the SAS in Bosnia I nod and say that it was a tough place but I prefered to the time when I was trapped in Moscow.

When something suprising goes wrong and they claim 'Ah, yes. I wondered at the time if you had thought of that' I always like to reply 'Yes, I wondered at the time why you did not say anything'.

It is a hoot!
        I played cricket with a numpty, who was covered from head to toe in tattoos who said he used to be in the SAS, and was a trained Air Medic. We used to take the piss out of him mercilessly. I found out (the other day coincidentally) it was actually true, and he'd go to work muttering about hurting us the next day. Used to make him charge in like a bull mind, when he was bowling. Extremely hostile bowler.

Looking back, in retrospect, knowing what I know now, he could have, I guess, quite easily kicked the tulipe out of us.

Comment

It is a hoot!
          Myself and a friend have an opposing strategy on meeting folk like this. We'll fawn over his every word, often repeating him and cooing. They normally always understand after a while.

A good friend of mine 'reverse lies' at parties, by telling people he's a farm hand, or flat roofer, dustbin man. It's his way of dealing with people who seem to only want to know how far you are up the social ladder (and also allows him lots of time on his own to get drunk, which he also likes).

Comment

I prefer the "I was never in Vladivostok" gambit (related, but not identical, to "Yes, but not in the South")

Comment

My old Art teacher, Mr Williams, invented the Concorde droop-snoot and the Duffel coat. He can demolish a house with his bare hands in 15 minutes too, he told us...

Never occurred to me he might not be telling the truth...

Comment

It always seems to be an army delusion they go for first ( shouting about being in the SAS is one sure fire way of getting a serious kicking in some Glasgow pubs ). Then they go to medicine. Then sport, but an ungoogleable sporting feat.

Maybe in San Fransisco folk falsly brag in pubs about being interweb millionaires. I dunno.

Comment

I've known two guys who were in the SAS and one guy who was in the Foreign Legion. I didn't find out for years and not from them either but from mutual friends who were ex forces.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

It's incredible how some of these people get so carried away. I've always found that I've never need to bulltulip, having a 12'' cock as thick as a bodybuilders arm is more than enough to impress the ladies.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      A good friend of mine 'reverse lies' at parties, by telling people he's a farm hand, or flat roofer, dustbin man. It's his way of dealing with people who seem to only want to know how far you are up the social ladder (and also allows him lots of time on his own to get drunk, which he also likes).
                      I use to do that it was great fun.

It was more fun though at family does.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X