• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest and divorce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my two penneth. You can't just add shareholders to the company, as this looks like you're trying to hide money from Hector.

If your wife (soon to be ex) is a shareholder of the company, you are in trouble. If not, look at some offshore scheme, like an SCI in France, where you can get a French company on your own, and shift money, tax free, to it, and buy yourself a house out there, or, if you speak to the right French Accountant, simple open an account there and take the money out.

Or simply settle it with her, stop the subterfuge, and move on in life.

Or spend it all on foreign trips, Classy hookers and class A drugs.

Either way, you're standing still looking at ways to get out of paying....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      Just my two penneth. You can't just add shareholders to the company, as this looks like you're trying to hide money from Hector.

If your wife (soon to be ex) is a shareholder of the company, you are in trouble. If not, look at some offshore scheme, like an SCI in France, where you can get a French company on your own, and shift money, tax free, to it, and buy yourself a house out there, or, if you speak to the right French Accountant, simple open an account there and take the money out.

Or simply settle it with her, stop the subterfuge, and move on in life.

Or spend it all on foreign trips, Classy hookers and class A drugs.

Either way, you're standing still looking at ways to get out of paying....

I went through a bitter break up with an ex, we owned a house together. There are no winners, in some scenarios it may be better to let her lose a little less badly for you to save a lot of time and money.

I spent 2 years fighting an ex over a small amount of money over bitterness and the need to come out on top, i wish i had just settled at the start, given her what she wanted and got on with my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
        I went through a bitter break up with an ex, we owned a house together. There are no winners, in some scenarios it may be better to let her lose a little less badly for you to save a lot of time and money.

I spent 2 years fighting an ex over a small amount of money over bitterness and the need to come out on top, i wish i had just settled at the start, given her what she wanted and got on with my life.
        Question, what could you have done at the begining that would have stopped you fighting over a small amount of money?
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          1. You don't need to know where she is. Legal documents can be served at the last known address.
          Apparently there has to be reasonable amount of effort in locating the person. Which boils down to one attempt by a court approved bailiff type to try at last known address and something else (parents house, place of work). If nothing from that then it can be put through without her consent. She has acknowledged it going through but now it's time to sign on the line she's vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
            but now it's time to sign on the line she's vanished.
            So spend some money on a private investigator!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              So spend some money on a private investigator!
              + 1
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Question, what could you have done at the begining that would have stopped you fighting over a small amount of money?
                My ex left me for someone else. When we were together she needed a new car, and needed my name on a loan to be able to get one. When we broke up, there was around 10k on the loan, and the car was was 12k. She wanted to keep the car and me to pay off half the loan. My view was i wanted to either sell the car and pay off the loan, or she takes it over on her own.

She refused to let the house to be sold until that was sorted, i went to a solicitor to get an order for sale. She went to see her solicitor who then told her she could get more money off me as the loan my dad had given us for a deposit (with a loan agreement) was not secured against the house (he didnt register a second charge as we wanted to get a subsequent loan to demolish and rebuild the house and a second charge would have made this difficult). In the end the house was sold, the 30k was put on hold with a solicitor and she ended up suing me to try and get half of it, my dad had to sue her to get it released. In the end i settled in mediation just to get it resolved as it had been going on for too long.

Where i could have paid her 5k at the start for my half of the loan, i ended up paying close to 15k once i had paid the settlement, mine and my dads legal expenses and wasted nearly 2 years of my life fighting her. If it had of gone to court i would have wasted a significant amount more.

My advice to you would be to ask her how much she wants to settle and do some pretty serious sums. Don't forget how much moving on with your life and the freedom from her is really worth.

Or get her killed

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                  My ex left me for someone else. When we were together she needed a new car, and needed my name on a loan to be able to get one. When we broke up, there was around 10k on the loan, and the car was was 12k. She wanted to keep the car and me to pay off half the loan. My view was i wanted to either sell the car and pay off the loan, or she takes it over on her own.

She refused to let the house to be sold until that was sorted, i went to a solicitor to get an order for sale. She went to see her solicitor who then told her she could get more money off me as the loan my dad had given us for a deposit (with a loan agreement) was not secured against the house (he didnt register a second charge as we wanted to get a subsequent loan to demolish and rebuild the house and a second charge would have made this difficult). In the end the house was sold, the 30k was put on hold with a solicitor and she ended up suing me to try and get half of it, my dad had to sue her to get it released. In the end i settled in mediation just to get it resolved as it had been going on for too long.

Where i could have paid her 5k at the start for my half of the loan, i ended up paying close to 15k once i had paid the settlement, mine and my dads legal expenses and wasted nearly 2 years of my life fighting her. If it had of gone to court i would have wasted a significant amount more.

My advice to you would be to ask her how much she wants to settle and do some pretty serious sums. Don't forget how much moving on with your life and the freedom from her is really worth.

Or get her killed
                  So what you are saying, because she left you, you want to punish her.

People don't have money problems, they have problems they take out on their money.

What could have made you handle this differently.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I just want to get it over with after 2 years of trying. Obviously giving away 10k or so which i've earned i'd like to avoid. Hopefully it'll be sorted in mediation and avoiding court at all costs or we'll both leave with nothing. I'm not going to cause any extension or emotional stress over the odd thousand as long as the demands from her side are reasonable, i'd even pay a slightly unfair amount to get it over and done with but half of a war chest is worth fighting for/ovoiding.

Comment

Buy physical gold bars.

And why did you split? Was it money or sex?

Comment

Working...
                      X