• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eurotunnel car checks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevejohnson View Post
    What checks are made on cars passing through the Eurotunnel these days ? Do they inspect / sniff the cars ?
    yes, sometimes. if you & or your car are obviously worth inspecting don't do it. if it isn't don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      When I used to travel to and from Holland I was regularly stopped and the car searched. I used to always clean and check the car before I left Holland. I got so fed up at being stopped I made an official complaint.

I do not see why you want to risk bring some joints back when your car could be confiscated and you put into prison.
      My guess is because he's this week's champion CUK Muppet. You only have to look at the questions he's asked both here and in the professional forums to see how stupid he is (pretending) to be.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I used to work for them. I'd arrive Tuesday morning at roughly the same time, and be stopped half the time. The swabbing of the steering wheel is checking your hands for explosive residue.

Don't mess with customs. They have a wonderful sense of humour involving rubber gloves.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Naa just thinking to take couple of joints with me from Holland.
          Ah yes. They are so difficult to get in Britain that it is definitely worth the risk ...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I remember flying to Dubai and Mrs BP decided to make cannabis rice krispy chocolate cakes to relax me for the flight. Well actually they were made of skunk. I started to scoff them on the car park xfer coach - I had one left at the airport. First thing we spotted was a police dog - I stuffed the final one whole, threw away the wrapper and quickly left. Not sure if the dogs can detect skunk in cakes.

We then went to the airport lounge to get legless. The days before kids were great.
            Next time you decide to do this, check out Dubai's drug laws. If they detected a crumb on you, they would stick you in prison, also if they find it in your blood.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Naa just thinking to take couple of joints with me from Holland.
              Try it in Thailand first. If it works, you can assume Holland will be ok.

Btw, last time I got the Thaly from Amsterdam to Paris, there were sniffer dogs waiting for everyone that got off 2nd class, but strangely not 1st.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                When I used to travel to and from Holland I was regularly stopped and the car searched. I used to always clean and check the car before I left Holland. I got so fed up at being stopped I made an official complaint.
                I got checked the first time I drove home in a Dutch registered BMW. I saw a customs guy in my driving mirror speaking into his walkie talkie as I drove past.

Longish hair (I always got always got my hair cut in the UK when I could) and a Beemer with NL plates was enough to trigger suspicion.

They tapped the body panels and even let air out of the spare tyre to have a sniff. Having heard stories about them stripping cars down I was very polite and talked about my job in Holland.

Thereafter whenever I drove back I'd drive straight into the red channel and declare the car. It worked every time.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I got stopped about 20 years ago coming into the UK from Germany (via France and Belgium of course) in a Mercedes 350SLC having done a night shift and then driven most of the day (got lost, so it took longer) and Frau D. looking the worst for wear having been partying the night before. They stripped the whole car down, wheels off and inside the tyres were searched. When putting it all back together they managed to put a crease in the bonnet and told me it wasn't worth my while trying to claim as it takes months to get anything from them. Got stopped again a few months later and recognised the customs guy, told him that they searched me previously and showed the dent, let me through. Since then I haven't been stopped although do get asked if I'm in the forces each time due to being British and having German plates.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Been through about 10 times. Been searched inside and out twice, once by the French and once by the British. They don't mess around. Strip everything, check underneath the car, camera into the fuel tank. The lot.

My advice, for a couple joints? don't bother. Send it via the postal service, it's less risky.

Comment

Came through yesterday Calais -> Folkestone & there were sniffer dogs everywhere once you get to the UK side of the operation.

Don't think they were interested in the 10 crates of Pelforth Brune I had in the back though...

Comment

Working...
                      X