• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From permanent to contract in the same company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A contractor where I work did this. I don't think he really intended it, he left the company and was going to take time off and then look for contract roles, came in for a visit and was offered a contract job. The company were looking for a contractor for a specific job anyway and someone who knows the system is obviously an advantage, and no agency fees to pay.

He's not even trying to avoid IR35, in fact he's a sole trader..... Alarm bells ringing yet? I reckon because he's a sole trader and because of his previous employment he'd almost certainly be seen as an employee for all those pesky employment rights. He'd probably even get redundancy based on the time he originally started. Clearly my client aren't that clued up on using contractors.

I would think most employers would see that as a risk even if you were a Ltd.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

employee - contractor exclusion clause

The bank where I worked as a permie has a 2 year ban on former employees working as contractors anywhere in the world. That wasn't in the employment contract either, like a few other things too. I had been a contractor for 6 years and forgotten the joys of permiedoom. I lasted 6 months before leaving.

Bah.

Comment

...are you still in Switzerland Bob ?
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X