• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electrocution: Are there any PSU's that provide mains voltage to a computer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    About 30 people in the UK die each year from mains electric shocks, with another 300,000 serious injuries. The painful twitch can be more of a shaking, and can also cause you fall or get locked on to whatever is delivering the shock, at which point you are ****ed unless someone detaches you. The one time this happened to me I was lucky and fell away from it rather than on to it.

Why don't you turn the power off and check it's off before you start?

Thousands of people die on the roads but we still drive cars. If you do elctrical maintenance you will get a shock from time to time. In the same way you have a close call or an accident driving on a wet A road. Sh*t happens. If 240 volts was so dangerous it would be put down to 50 volts. The reason why it is 240 volts is because it is pretty harmless.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      If 240 volts was so dangerous it would be put down to 50 volts. The reason why it is 240 volts is because it is pretty harmless.
      http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...un/Trolled.jpg

nomadd liked this post

Comment

I find it interesting how people like to get on their self-righteous hobby horse.

My advice would be....get a life

HTH
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thousands of people die on the roads but we still drive cars. If you do elctrical maintenance you will get a shock from time to time. In the same way you have a close call or an accident driving on a wet A road. Sh*t happens. If 240 volts was so dangerous it would be put down to 50 volts. The reason why it is 240 volts is because it is pretty harmless.
          Yes, but we don't drive our cars at 150mph with our eyes closed and no brakes do we? We do it as safely as we can.

BTW the reason it's 230/240V is cost. A lower voltage requires heavier and hence more expensive wiring.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            About 30 people in the UK die each year from mains electric shocks, with another 300,000 serious injuries. The painful twitch can be more of a shaking, and can also cause you fall or get locked on to whatever is delivering the shock, at which point you are ****ed unless someone detaches you. The one time this happened to me I was lucky and fell away from it rather than on to it.

Why don't you turn the power off and check it's off before you start?
            Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

According to my googling, 27 died in 2002 and 2788 were estimated to have been injured (136 actually reported!)

300,000 serious injuries sounds like BS to me - that's more than were injured on the roads!

My stats linky

Comment

I find it interesting how people like to get on their self-righteous hobby horse.

My advice would be....get a life

HTH
              http://images16.fotki.com/v316/photo...llBGone-vi.jpg

Pssst. Pssst.

nomadd liked this post

Comment

Do behave children -

Or you will get a

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post

Or you will get a
                  oooh, matron!

nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    oooh, matron!

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                      Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

According to my googling, 27 died in 2002 and 2788 were estimated to have been injured (136 actually reported!)

300,000 serious injuries sounds like BS to me - that's more than were injured on the roads!

My stats linky
                      I was looking here: Statistics : Electrical Safety Council

Your figure of 136 reported is taken from 18 hospitals and extrapolated to give an estimate of 2788. My figure was similarly make believe but given that people may well not bother with hospital for bruising due to a fall or a little burn I'd expect the true number of injuries to be a lot more than 3000.
                      Last edited by doodab; 7 October 2012, 12:55.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X