• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh the horror...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Makes me laugh when the onshore folks poke all the blame at the offshore teams without checking what was specified in the first place, what governance was in place at the time, what acceptance criteria was set and the how the handback was QA'd.

People in glass houses and all that. I am currently working with an offshore team who have no wriggle room to deliver crap and understand to ask questions if they are not sure. Ie properly managed. Net result, we get a quality deliverable although we wasted double the budget on managing the fools
    FTFY HTH
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Makes me laugh when the onshore folks poke all the blame at the offshore teams without checking what was specified in the first place, what governance was in place at the time, what acceptance criteria was set and the how the handback was QA'd.

People in glass houses and all that. I am currently working with an offshore team who have no wriggle room to deliver crap and understand to ask questions if they are not sure. Ie properly managed. Net result, we get a quality deliverable.
      The governance and acceptance criteria only means that crap was permitted to get through. It doesn't excuse the crap being produced in the first place, nor does it justify the incompetence of the programmer who produced it.

I'm not quite sure what "glass house" you're referring to. Unless it's the one you're standing in.

fwiw, when I was in charge of those running off-shore teams, I defined and implemented strict standards and procedures for ensuring standards were adhered to. I also defined selection criteria for the developers which had middling success in keeping the really incompetent ones out. After my departure, these were gradually dropped, with a concomittent rise in overall costs.

Maybe one day there will be an understanding that cheap programmers = crap programs = expensive programs. But I doubt it. In the meantime - kerching - as we pick up the pieces.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And so it continues. I've just received a lovely spreadsheet, explaining how all the changes I've recommended have been implemented and just passed all the QA tests.

Now, they were supposed to inform me before the developments left the development system, so I could review what they'd done. But I thought I'd have a look anyway.

Out of 20 recommendations, 13 are either not done, or done incorrectly. This could run and run...
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

People in glass houses and all that. I am currently working with an offshore team who have no wriggle room to deliver crap and understand to ask questions if they are not sure. Ie properly managed. Net result, we get a quality deliverable.
          I get the impression Suity likes working with these low cost, low quality guys, it makes him look good by comparison.

Comment

Working...
          X