• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Black.
    The bank I work for has a strict policy that no contractor should be employed for longer than 12 months.
    Easy. Tell them you're not employed at all, you're a supplier and wish to be treated as such. EDS and the like aren't subject to these poxy rules, so why the feck should we be?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

And a previous employer I worked for had something called a 'contractor replacement program' where after 2 X 3 month contracts they would replace that contractor with a permanent member of staff. An absolute ridiculous policy which was frequently broken because managers/depts didn't want to lose the contractor and/or didn't have an adequate perm. replacement. I have to re-read and spell check my posts now.

Comment

Ta - I'll pass it up the tree!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Nope I'm afraid the game's up, sounds like the company is cutting back, regardless of what the PM wants.

... but do go and see the boss, ask him you would like to continue and then focus on looking for a new job. If he does give you verbal confirmation, then its worth going in until the paperwork is through. Usually some sort of initial confirmation can be sent quite quickly to the agent.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black.
            And a previous employer I worked for had something called a 'contractor replacement program' (
            programme - OK "program" if it was a septic company.

adequate perm. replacement
            tautology
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Its not UBS but close

Think I'm going to compromise.

Won't come in without contract will look for new whilst waiting. It may apply there minds some what.

Which ever comes up first.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                programme - OK "program" if it was a septic company.

tautology
                You're being very harsh today.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                  tautology
                  No, you've got them mixed up again.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The client I'm working for has a 2-year rule for contractors too. Finishing at the end of the month to be replaced by another contractor who will probably be here for 2 years too. One of the reasons I went contracting was to get away from meddling HR departments....

Comment

And it did apply their minds, 6 month extention in front of me.

Funny how many exceptions are occurring to this 2 year rule...

Comment

Working...
                      X