• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of an era

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Those were the days. With the old 70s system you could listen to TV sound with a diode and a pair of earphones. Well, you could if you lived next door to the Crystal Palace transmitter anyway.

Still got an old 70s transistor radio, use to to detect wires in the wall.

I use a hammer and nail for that
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Old folks used their TVs to keep them warm. The transistor was a killer for them.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Cause Calderdale is part of Yorkshire, and as its closer to Lancashire its not in the reach of the Tyne Tees signal
        You can get Tyne Tees if you live on the hilltops* around there.

Mind you, that was back in the days of gas tellies.

* whacking great multifuel stove an essential part of the equipment if you live up there.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Those were the days. With the old 70s system you could listen to TV sound with a diode and a pair of earphones. Well, you could if you lived next door to the Crystal Palace transmitter anyway.

Still got an old 70s transistor radio, use to to detect wires in the wall.
          I could get ITV sound on FM on my 70s transistor radio.

And my tape recorder would play Radio 4 (or was it Radio 2?) if I put a finger on the microphone socket. It was a second hand valve jobbie of unknown vintage.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            I could get ITV sound on FM on my 70s transistor radio.

And my tape recorder would play Radio 4 (or was it Radio 2?) if I put a finger on the microphone socket. It was a second hand valve jobbie of unknown vintage.
            I remember leaning my bike against a metal drainpipe and hearing radio 2 through the handlebars.*

*You might think I'm making that up, but it's completely true. That was in Droitwich not far from the transmitter.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
              I started working in a Radio and TV shop on Saturdays back in the seventies.

TV's that came in for repair included some that were dual standard - they worked on the VHF 405 lines and the new fangled UHF 625 lines. Some even had colour!

Now it's about to be switched off.

Elreg Linky

Too late for an "Analogue Rules" popular uprising?

Never too late for resistance. There are powers they do not understand.

The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                Old folks used their TVs to keep them warm. The transistor was a killer for them.
                Now I use my desktop PC as an air conditioner,how times change
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  Now I use my desktop PC as an air conditioner,how times change
                  Er...... how does that work then?

P.S. I have Plasma - just as hot as an old school TV

Comment

It's been digital here for some time, 98% signal strength but still get freezes and other glitches. Analogue didn't have these problems so are we faced with a generation or two thinking glitchty TV is the norm, kinda like most people thinking computers crash (thanks to Microsoft)?
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      It's been digital here for some time, 98% signal strength but still get freezes and other glitches. Analogue didn't have these problems so are we faced with a generation or two thinking glitchty TV is the norm, kinda like most people thinking computers crash (thanks to Microsoft)?
                      Tried a "powered" aerial by attaching a booster box? Worked wonders for me.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X