• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of an era

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Er...... how does that work then?

P.S. I have Plasma - just as hot as an old school TV
    It's got for CPU fan that sits the length of a tower case. It just spews out cold air through the external case fans, enough that it keeps our lounge cool

It's just a lot more cooling than it needs, I overestimated the heat from run multiple graphics cards

The computer monitor still runs hot though, so no change there (:
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      That brings back memories of TV engineers who would bang the side of the TV to get it working.
      Don't knock the notion. On many early valve-ridden transmitters there has been many a dry joint jolted into life with the aid of a swift thwack.
      The skill is in knowing where to hit it though.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Don't knock the notion. On many early valve-ridden transmitters there has been many a dry joint jolted into life with the aid of a swift thwack.
        The skill is in knowing where to hit it though.

I earned myself quite a few free beers in student days by "repairing" various bits of electrical kit. All I did most times was take the thing apart and put it together again.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          And memories of the vhf tuner which required a long long insulated screwdriver, otherwise known as a modified knitting needle, for adjusting the channel tuning.

It had "biscuits" in it.

The posh ones had all 13 biscuits, the cheapo ones just had the BBC and ITV local channels.

I think I've still got some somewhere in the shed.
          Yikes. Those bits look strangely familiar. I must have done more poking inside things than I remembered.

Comment

It's always a surprise if you don't have any bits left over.
            ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Relocating the aerial might help; my aerial is the other side of the house from the road, so attenuates interferrence from passing traffic a bit.

What did upset it, until I moved the aerial a bit, was the ignition from the combi boilers.
              It was a bungalow with aerial on top of roof, so not much scope there. One guy went mad and spent a hundred quid on his aerial. We lesser mortals couldn't afford that on top of the usual unexpected costs of buying a new build home.

A later spot I lived in was the first house off a main road and passing trucks and buses affected the picture. There was also a pothole out there, so along with a distorted picture I'd get kerthump, kerthump, kerthump (that was an artic with 3 axles).

No wonder I picked a house on a rural road on the top of a hill for the next move. I heard precisely one car passing in my first 4 hours in that house.

Of course that road ended up being a convenient shortcut once they opened up a new road...

Complete with pothole just outside the house.

And regular accidents 'cos it was the narrowest bit of the road.

But at least I got cracking good telly and radio reception.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                But at least I got cracking good telly and radio reception.
                You are Wallace and I claim my 5 free plasticine dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  You are Wallace and I claim my 5 free plasticine dogs.
                  Indeed I do come from the same neck of the woods as Last of the Summer Wine.

A schoolmate's father was a dead ringer for Peter Sallis, and had the same dry sense of humour too.

Comment

That's certainly one for the archives.

Glad I didn't start computing so early.

Comment

Me too.

Mercury delay lines are toxic.
                      A few years ago i decided it would be cool to build a computer out of transistors. I built all of the basic gates and some flip flops, then decided it was too hard (I can deal with the logic but the assembly is a nightmare to debug unless you're very disciplined with coloured wire and stuff) so moved onto 74xx chips. I built a few basic bits like adders and stuff then decided that was too hard and decided to move onto FPGA. I've not bought the dev kit or properly learned an RTL yet. I'd like to get it done before I die.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X