• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by insur View Post
    On the subject of technology stacks and tulips. Went to a meeting with the big wigs at clientCo.

I'm refering to IT Director level of tulips. The meeting was to discuss a customer issue regarding a JVM error.

The two contract devs in the meeting knew those tulips didn't have a clue what JVM stood for, in which case tulips directors should stay quiet. But no, one tulip decided to speak up and said "I didn't know the customer was using VM Ware". Us two devs decided to stay quiet and the whole meeting continued along the lines of "why are they using VM Ware to run the software".

Hilarious!
    And you're worried you'll get caught out if your experience on some technology is a few years behind the times?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Bollocks to it all. I've no mortgage and a war chest large enough to bail out Greece.

I shall stick to my guns and do the job I was hired to do, which incidentally I would do to a very high standard.

As for Mr Bob and his seniors they can take it or leave. Screw them!
      Where is it you're based at the moment?

I assume there's going to be a vacancy shortly...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        Sounds like you've been caught out.

There's only one thing for it.

Go to ACM level 3 and get those memos out there fast! No time to lose!

Suity! This boy needs your help!
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What you should have in the 1st instance was to
          1. nod sagely while the client was explaining what they wanted you to do
          2. Reply "that's a little out of date but I'll see what I can do.." with a slight smile and a hint of condescension in your voice
          3. Blat home and over the weekend dig out all of your old notes and anything you can glean from the web.
          4. Start Monday on the stack. Be a hero

Still, lesson learned, eh
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            What you should have in the 1st instance was to
            1. nod sagely while the client was explaining what they wanted you to do
            2. Reply "that's a little out of date but I'll see what I can do.." with a slight smile and a hint of condescension in your voice
            3. Blat home and over the weekend dig out all of your old notes and anything you can glean from the web.
            4. Start Mondy. Be a hero

Still, lesson learned, eh
            WSS!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

To my mind, to survive in the development world, we have to stay current, which is what I am at the moment.

In development, no one wants to hire a jack of all trades and master of none.

A CV with a mish mash of development languages in the current contract world is useless.
              In this current contract world clients want contractors who can deliver. End of.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                In this current contract world clients want contractors who can deliver. End of.
                ...and most aren't too fussy about the quality of what's delivered.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

To my mind, to survive in the development world, we have to stay current, which is what I am at the moment.

In development, no one wants to hire a jack of all trades and master of none.

A CV with a mish mash of development languages in the current contract world is useless.
                  To my mind, to survive in the development world, you have to be able to adapt, else CleintCo will get in someone else who can

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    To my mind, to survive in the development world, you have to be able to adapt, else CleintCo will get in someone else who can
                    WSMS, they pay the money, you is their biatch!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      WSMS, they pay the money, you is their biatch!
                      Is that what CM tells you when she gives you your pocket money?

Comment

Working...
                      X