• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russian Vikings!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fact, a very interesting idea to me is that we were overrun many time in history.

in 'pre history' they are classed as 'racial migrations', but once we have a written record

they are called invasions

i always thought there was something wrong with this
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      The swedes had an empire. The Russ had an empire.
      Mongols
      Chinese
      Japs

in fact, as a rule of thumb, it's always a good idea to assume that any race, country or people that you are dealing with had an empire at one point. And of course, for them, it was the greatest empire ever

A very interesting program with a number of things I didn't know about.

To your point about empires, there have been many empires & many civilizations. If you go with the historical view that civilization started around 3000 bc in Mesopotamia & Egypt, then China, then Sudan over the next few hundreds years, then Turkey, then Greece over the next 1000 years, then Rome much later, the whole period of Vikings & Angles is pretty small & insignificant. When you look at the timescales it would be churlish of us in the modern age to state that our empires/our civilizations are greater & longer.

In fact, modern society, or the explosion of our society in terms of engineering & science & medicine is but a few generations. How many generations would it take to wipe us from the memory of the earth (a 1000 years).

What aboute pre-antediluvian civilizations? Certain views state that we have been building civilizations since 12000 bc. The last ice age finished at 18000 bc. It only takes a hundred years to get your act together, another 100 to leap forward again! We are put a blip on the evolution of the planet, an ever continuous cycle, we will wax & wane on this planet with the settings of the tide. Assume nothing. Know nothing.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The vikings raided Lindisfarne. The Vikings raided loads of places.

but Lindisfarne was full of monks, and they could write. Thats why we know so much about Lindisfarne.

Make sure you go at low tide though.

The Normans, who invaded us in 1066 were Vikings descendants.

Most Norsemen were traders. They would come in, look around, sell you stuff, find out where the soldiers or militia were. then tool up and come back and rob you, nick all the birds and kids, and kill you.

viking was not a description. it was an action. 'i'm off flogging stuff today, but once it gets dark I'm going viking'

I knew a roofer in Liverpool who would sell roofing felt to people, store if for them in their garage, go back and rob it, then sell the same stuff back to them the next day' - a perfect viking he was

Nah - to be a perfect Viking he would have sh**ged the lady of the house as well

He was only an 8/10 Viking

Last edited by BA to the Stars; 19 September 2012, 09:18.

Comment

SPb is the least Russian city, it's beautiful, the others are all shiitholes...

Comment

There are so many things that people dont know

why does it suprise them so much to learn something new ?
            and why do so any of them think they know everything ?

the wisest and most sensible thing I like to hear is
            'I havnt got a clue, but I will either find out, or have a stab mate'

thats when you know you are talking to a top bloke

“True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance"

Pharoah Akhenaten, c 1330 BC

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X