• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Russian Vikings!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Russian Vikings!"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    There are so many things that people dont know

why does it suprise them so much to learn something new ?
    and why do so any of them think they know everything ?

the wisest and most sensible thing I like to hear is
    'I havnt got a clue, but I will either find out, or have a stab mate'

thats when you know you are talking to a top bloke

“True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance"

Pharoah Akhenaten, c 1330 BC

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    SPb is the least Russian city, it's beautiful, the others are all shiitholes...

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    The vikings raided Lindisfarne. The Vikings raided loads of places.

but Lindisfarne was full of monks, and they could write. Thats why we know so much about Lindisfarne.

Make sure you go at low tide though.

The Normans, who invaded us in 1066 were Vikings descendants.

Most Norsemen were traders. They would come in, look around, sell you stuff, find out where the soldiers or militia were. then tool up and come back and rob you, nick all the birds and kids, and kill you.

viking was not a description. it was an action. 'i'm off flogging stuff today, but once it gets dark I'm going viking'

I knew a roofer in Liverpool who would sell roofing felt to people, store if for them in their garage, go back and rob it, then sell the same stuff back to them the next day' - a perfect viking he was

Nah - to be a perfect Viking he would have sh**ged the lady of the house as well

He was only an 8/10 Viking

Last edited by BA to the Stars; 19 September 2012, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The swedes had an empire. The Russ had an empire.
    Mongols
    Chinese
    Japs

in fact, as a rule of thumb, it's always a good idea to assume that any race, country or people that you are dealing with had an empire at one point. And of course, for them, it was the greatest empire ever

A very interesting program with a number of things I didn't know about.

To your point about empires, there have been many empires & many civilizations. If you go with the historical view that civilization started around 3000 bc in Mesopotamia & Egypt, then China, then Sudan over the next few hundreds years, then Turkey, then Greece over the next 1000 years, then Rome much later, the whole period of Vikings & Angles is pretty small & insignificant. When you look at the timescales it would be churlish of us in the modern age to state that our empires/our civilizations are greater & longer.

In fact, modern society, or the explosion of our society in terms of engineering & science & medicine is but a few generations. How many generations would it take to wipe us from the memory of the earth (a 1000 years).

What aboute pre-antediluvian civilizations? Certain views state that we have been building civilizations since 12000 bc. The last ice age finished at 18000 bc. It only takes a hundred years to get your act together, another 100 to leap forward again! We are put a blip on the evolution of the planet, an ever continuous cycle, we will wax & wane on this planet with the settings of the tide. Assume nothing. Know nothing.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    In fact, a very interesting idea to me is that we were overrun many time in history.

in 'pre history' they are classed as 'racial migrations', but once we have a written record

they are called invasions

i always thought there was something wrong with this

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Anyone who knows anything about the Danelaw would not brag about being a southerner.

The Northerners fought like hell, wouldnt give in and organised such a resistance that the Norse were terrified of goingout at night.

meanwhile the southern limp wristed shandy drinking poofters PAID the Norse not to attack them.

faggots

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I like learning new things, that's the idea of life. Just surprised that St Petersberg was Swedish. Always thought of it as the most Russian city.
    The swedes had an empire. The Russ had an empire.
    Mongols
    Chinese
    Japs

in fact, as a rule of thumb, it's always a good idea to assume that any race, country or people that you are dealing with had an empire at one point. And of course, for them, it was the greatest empire ever

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Ooo. By means settlement in Norse. Hence Grimsby, Selby, Whitby means settlement. Cool.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Heard it all now. The reason for the difference between the North and South of England is down to the Danelaw, the fact that the North of England was conquered by the Vikings, while the South was able to withstand the onslaught. So effectively were saying that Northeners got their arses handed to them by some dodgy ginger fellas from Sweden. In the North there were open cesspits and they werent very healthy

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The vikings raided Lindisfarne. The Vikings raided loads of places.

but Lindisfarne was full of monks, and they could write. Thats why we know so much about Lindisfarne.

Make sure you go at low tide though.

The Normans, who invaded us in 1066 were Vikings descendants.

Most Norsemen were traders. They would come in, look around, sell you stuff, find out where the soldiers or militia were. then tool up and come back and rob you, nick all the birds and kids, and kill you.

viking was not a description. it was an action. 'i'm off flogging stuff today, but once it gets dark I'm going viking'

I knew a roofer in Liverpool who would sell roofing felt to people, store if for them in their garage, go back and rob it, then sell the same stuff back to them the next day' - a perfect viking he was

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

I like learning new things, that's the idea of life. Just surprised that St Petersberg was Swedish. Always thought of it as the most Russian city.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    So ive heard of Lindisfarne but never been. Just added it to a list of places to visit.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What else will i learn this evening?
    The dark art of capitalisation?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    started a topic Russian Vikings!

Russian Vikings!

Anyone watching the program on Vikings on Bbc2? Just discovered that St Petersberg in Russia was in fact Swedish until the 17th Century and in fact Russia has more Viking artefacts in it than the rest of Europe.

What else will i learn this evening?

Working...
X