• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming back into IT - Your thoughts please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just keep plugging away.....

... and make sure your CV matches the job spec as closely as possible. I was out of contracting for 3 years, and I managed to get back in (if you regard VB6 as old hat, try getting back in with IBM iSeries and RPG - think "green screen" and "text editor"). I'd kept my skills reasonably sharp (I picked up an old AS/400 on EBAY for £50) and I was back up to commercial speed within a couple of weeks. During my time out I also worked from home as a self-employed PC Support techy (advertising in the local small ads), so I could show that I was still actively involved in IT and told the interviewers about how it was a lifestyle choice, so I could have more time with the family. Some companies respect that, others think you're mad. I've now been back in for six months, and hope it keeps going.

Now I've got to upgrade my skills as well.

Where's that VB6 manual... . . . .
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
      ...I was out of contracting for 3 years, and I managed to get back in (if you regard VB6 as old hat, try getting back in with IBM iSeries and RPG - think "green screen" and "text editor")... ...I picked up an old AS/400 on EBAY for £50... ...I've now been back in for six months, and hope it keeps going.
      That is truly amazing hattra. I clearly remember the AS400's because there were a couple of them sitting next to the Wang VS12000 that I worked on when I first started contracting (1996). I never envied the AS400 boys from a technology point of view because the dev environment on Wang (called PACE) was excellent in comparision I thought. But Wang was dying off while AS400 was going strong. Then the UNIX boxes came in and everyone's apple cart went over.

I hope you're good fortune continues hattra, I really do. Thanks for your input.

What a great bunch of folk in this forum! Very encouraging indeed. But where are the dissenters? Does anyone have the opposite view? It's often difficult to post to a thread with a negative comment, when everyone else is trying to be supportive. But I want to avoid false hope. Right now, after your collective posts, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances. But kind-minded people do tend to have that effect.

Rob
      Last edited by RobWoz; 14 June 2006, 13:17.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWoz
        What a great bunch of folk in this forum! Very encouraging indeed. But where are the decenters? Does anyone have the opposite view? It's often difficult to post to a thread with a negative comment, when everyone else is trying to be supportive. But I want to avoid false hope. Right now, after your collective posts, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances. But kind-minded people do tend to have that effect.

Rob

Anyone know who he's talking to? Doesnt sound like anyone we know here.

btw. Dissenters.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm surprised Fleetwood hasn't picked up on your doomed marriage to spout his usual wife-hating tirade that he manages to turn nearly all threads towards!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
            I'm surprised Fleetwood hasn't picked up on your doomed marriage to spout his usual wife-hating tirade that he manages to turn nearly all threads towards!

Oooo! Is that so? Maybe he'll turn up later with that.

Well, in my case I'm quite lucky. My ex-wife is a great mum. Something I've always been thankful for.

Comment

To answer your question:

Don't.
              Next ...
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
              X