• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paternity Leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckily, dear old Mrs candy works for the NHS and maternity pay is quite good. Since she only works part-time anyway (£900/month) it means even when she goes down to 1/2 pay they still at SMP onto that so it takes her back up full pay.

And, of course, leave still accrues and they like you to lump it on the end. i.e finish maternity at 11 months and take the last month as leave or whatever.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Amen to that.
      One page.

Comment

Seriously, £270 of free money - why not claim it?

I'm still on 'maternity leave', claiming maternity allowance.
        And working/billing for 16hrs a week over two days.
        Keep-in-touch days....great stuff.
        (losing track of when to stop claiming, I think I've got about 3 weeks left)

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post

Isn't that a bit naughty though? i.e. claiming maternity and still working.

If we had traditional employers its cut and dried. Working or not. But of course we're our own employer.

So, theoretically, as with SPP, you could work and bill the client and still claim and actually be better off. Who'd know.

Like I said, bit naughty though. But as you say, KIT days are allowed - but isnt it a max of 10 during the maternity?

Comment

Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Isn't that a bit naughty though? i.e. claiming maternity and still working.

If we had traditional employers its cut and dried. Working or not. But of course we're our own employer.

So, theoretically, as with SPP, you could work and bill the client and still claim and actually be better off. Who'd know.

Like I said, bit naughty though. But as you say, KIT days are allowed - but isnt it a max of 10 during the maternity?
              It is a maximum of 10, so I'm claiming 2 days per week for 5 weeks in total. What's naughty is that I may or may not be spreading my hours over more than 2 days per week, but only putting 2 days on my timesheet (with clientco management approval). Or the agreement that if additional work comes up I may just do it now but invoice for it later, after I've stopped claiming. This hasn't happened yet though and most likely won't.

To be honest, I still can't believe I got lucky enough to even get to keep this contract.

Essentially, I don't think what I'm doing is any different to what normal maternity leavers do - I just started my KIT days after 2.5 weeks rather than several months.

Comment

It is a maximum of 10, so I'm claiming 2 days per week for 5 weeks in total. What's naughty is that I may or may not be spreading my hours over more than 2 days per week, but only putting 2 days on my timesheet (with clientco management approval). Or the agreement that if additional work comes up I may just do it now but invoice for it later, after I've stopped claiming. This hasn't happened yet though and most likely won't.

To be honest, I still can't believe I got lucky enough to even get to keep this contract.

Essentially, I don't think what I'm doing is any different to what normal maternity leavers do - I just started my KIT days after 2.5 weeks rather than several months.
                Ah. I see.

But the point is if your employer (you) gives you time off and you claim maternity, who exactly is going to check whether your employer is still billing someone? No-one I guess.

How are they going to know whether you're going to client or not?

But it is fraud. You're way does sound legit-ish...

Good news on keeping the contract as well.

Comment

Honestly, I can't believe you're contemplating fraud at all, never mind over £230 especially on a public forum.
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    Honestly, I can't believe you're contemplating fraud at all, never mind over £230 especially on a public forum.
                    It was a nice little hole she was digging for herself...

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                      LOL. No I aint. The wrath of my Mrs if I told her I was going in for the week rather than staying home is mightier than anything the legal system could throw at me.

Just pointing out that it'd be difficult to get caught if one wanted to do this.....

I think formant has it cracked though because Keep in Touch days during maternity are perfectly legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X