• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

weekly commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Boarding: have taken little shoulder bag out of main bag, so that I can get at passport and boarding pass, and so that when on board I can quickly put main bag up in rack, keeping little bag with valuables and book/kindle with me on seat. No: strict 1-bag policy, must put little bag inside. Then on board, start taking little bag back out again. No: please move in out of the aisle. Yes, well I'm here taking stuff out of my bag before placing in in the overhead rack just because your colleague outside insisted that I put it in there in the first place.
    That's what happens when you're a cheapskate.

Suck it up big boy, you're paying less than the guy who gets the customer service.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      That's what happens when you're a cheapskate.

Suck it up big boy, you're paying less than the guy who gets the customer service.
      Bit abrasive today, no? I'm not asking for more customer service, just a bit less gratuitous idiocy.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

It wasn't supposed to be abrasive, just joshing. (It'll cost you more for the silk version...)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I think the worst thing about a weekly international commute isn't the time it takes or the getting up at stupid o'clock on Monday mornings or being cramped in an uncomfortable environment for hours, or even being away from home all week. The worst thing is the sheer number of idiotic and perverse jobsworths you run into.
          I used to a commute from UK to NL although later I stayed in NL at the weekends. Flying was a pain and I found driving much easier. I could leave the UK at about 10pm Sunday, get at least one hour's snooze on the ferry and get to the house in NL by 5am or even 4am; time enough for anther snooze.

Door to door time, there was little difference between driving and flying. It also meant that on the way back I could pick up chips with mayonnaise in Belgium and be back in the UK by 8pm
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Bit abrasive today, no? I'm not asking for more customer service, just a bit less gratuitous idiocy.
            Don't fly sleazyjet or vermin air.

Though I had fun and games from NL to UK today, no trains to Schipol this morning and then flight delayed by 3 and half hours.

Lost a half days billing ( which of course I've duly sent a complaint letter to KLM about )
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              . It also meant that on the way back I could pick up chips with mayonnaise in Belgium
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Frites and mayo is the only way to go

ketchup
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Maybe they instigated a no-tolerance policy on train doors for a reason.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Maybe they instigated a no-tolerance policy on train doors for a reason.
                    Maybe they did, but maybe this was a jobsworth. While I was missing the train I had actually already boarded, his colleague on the other platform held his train for 2 more people after blowing the whistle. I am afraid that I go mental about anything I perceive as inconsistent unfairness (to others as much as to myself), no matter how trivial. However the real annoyance was that it didn't delay the train for me to leap on it, but it did for him to throw me off it.
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

However the real annoyance was that it didn't delay the train for me to leap on it, but it did for him to throw me off it.
                      The real reason is that despite the perceived power or success in life you have through being a high earner, one of life's nobodys made you feel impotent.

Comment

Working...
                      X