• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What beautiful car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A one owner 6 year old Bentley Continental with under 40,000 miles can be yours for around £35k. Four-wheel drive, 200mph, superb interior - that'll do for me.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

If I won the lottery, Ferrari California

As a rich contractor, Audi A4

As a poor contractor, Zafira (this is the one I need right now to ferry the baby around)

Comment

If I won the lottery, Ferrari 250GT Lusso, an A6 4WD Estate for trips to the mountains and a go kart track in the garden.

Otherwise a beater for getting to and from work.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'd love an Atom if I were properly rich and could take it to tracks.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Got a freelander, its a bit slow, a bit thirsty and supposed to be unreliable (no probs so far) but I really like it. Not had a 4x4 before and like the driving position and sadly the sunroof makes me as happy as anything ....
            Evoque is expensive but should hang onto some of that money come sale time I would think.
            If I had big funds, a Range Rover would have to be near the top of the list.
            Will be looking into doing my motorbike CBT etc when I am next benched, midlife crisis is kicking in hard.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              Will be looking into doing my motorbike CBT etc when I am next benched, midlife crisis is kicking in hard.
              Great news. You won't regret it.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Got a GL320CDI, an Espace and a motorhome. All fantastic at what they do.

A big Lottery win would see a 250GTO and a Ultima GTR on the drive, and not much else. Small lottery win would probably see a 458 Italia on the drive, a cessna somewhere and not much else. Used to bike, had a very large off one day, and wife banned me replacing it.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  If I won the lottery I too would buy a Range Rover Evoque.

I'd use it to tow my Audi R18 between race tracks: Audi's hybrid takes Le Mans victory, twice | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews
                  I was there watching it, both years ;-) Toyota put on a good show this year, but they got knocked off the track by some slower GT cars. Even at Le Mans it's Hyrids that are where the new tech is. Toyota and Audi hasve taken a different approach. Totoya use supercapacitors and put all poer back to the rear, where as Audi use a 4wd system and put the recovered power to the front on the way out of corners, ive heard some people say it's via a flywheel - others have said electric. Apparently the Audi gets a bit unsettled when it kicks in as it dumps another 80bhp. Looking forward to next year already!
                  Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                    (Reply to Peoplesoft bloke.)

Another "mad money" car I've now looked at is Alfa Gulietta. Interiors not quite what I want, but it does have (at 0 cost) an option I really, really want, that no other car I've looked at has: integration of TomTom sat nav. (No manufacturer satnav is any good, they don't have TomTom HD traffic which I use on a daily basis for choosing the best route through London.) It's a bit absurd that I'm willing to spend 35K on a car but, whatever I get, I will still have to stick a £150 computer with trailing wires to the windscreen.

Before pulling the trigger on a new car, if I do at all, I think I'm going to wait and see what the BMW i3 looks like. I love the idea of the technology, but I have a feeling the reality of it's appearence is that it's going to be as boring as any other mainstream car. Nissan deliberately made the Leaf unremarkable, to make it acceptable. I feel something designed from the ground up to be an electric car probably ought to look different.

Not sure if electric or hybrid cars would make any sense for me. They would save a lot of money in fuel and congestion charges if I were working, but if I wanted to save money I'd keep the car I've got. If I stop working then I will be doing 3000 miles a year, fuel costs will be irrelevant.

It's amazingly hard to drop the mindset that optimises for value instead of absolute quality.
                    Once piece of advice - go to Avis "Premium" rentals - I'd have a guiletta off them a few times - loved it. Is on my list for future cars to buy (when they get to below £10k). Handless great and on a run to Scotland and back few consumption was acceptable despite me having a heavy right foot. 40 something mpg. I really like the mode swtich between comfort / normal and sport. Sport really it noticeable - just a light touch on the thrrottle gets it pulling like a pack of hungy rotweillers.

They do a few other models too - like the DS3. And some BMWs. much better than a 5 mile test drive. Plus as you don't have the salesman sat with you - you can see how they "go". I've been hiring a lot from Europcar lately and they do the same. There's a Audi TTS in their car park which is £300 odd a day. Hmmmmn.

Regarding hybrids - if you can hang on another year, Jag are bringing out their hybrid. Though I've no idea what price range its targeting. I'm not sure if its a no comprise, whatever it costs hypercar like the XJ220. Or something akin to a hybrid XK.

I’ve also drive the BMW efficient dynamics 3 series as a loner whilst my old one was serviced. I didn’t like it. There was a noticeable drag as the alternator kicks in. Which really spoiled the smooth driving. Stop / start was ok though. I much prefer Toyotas full hybrid – as you don’t notice any transition from electric to petrol or the regen. I never bought one though as I bought with my heart not my head - went for an old shape 330Ci instead :-) Have you looked at the new Lexus Hybrid? I didn’t even know there was one till I saw one at the weekend – think it was a IS200h or something like that.. (My lunchtime reading sorted).
                    Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      Got a GL320CDI, an Espace and a motorhome. All fantastic at what they do.

A big Lottery win would see a 250GTO and a Ultima GTR on the drive, and not much else. Small lottery win would probably see a 458 Italia on the drive, a cessna somewhere and not much else. Used to bike, had a very large off one day, and wife banned me replacing it.
                      My lottery win car would be a Nissan GTR VSpec. I'm easily pleased and tight
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X