• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What beautiful car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    (No manufacturer satnav is any good, they don't have TomTom HD traffic which I use on a daily basis for choosing the best route through London.) It's a bit absurd that I'm willing to spend 35K on a car but, whatever I get, I will still have to stick a £150 computer with trailing wires to the windscreen.
    Really? My Alpina which has the BMW satnav in it tells me the traffic and automatically provides alternate directions prior to hitting any problems (even my old AMG had that as well.) I think people who stick those little screens on their windscreen look silly and I'm pretty sure it must dangerous. I saw some old lady with one above her steering wheel which she could only just see over!
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Really? My Alpina which has the BMW satnav in it tells me the traffic and automatically provides alternate directions prior to hitting any problems (even my old AMG had that as well.) I think people who stick those little screens on their windscreen look silly and I'm pretty sure it must dangerous. I saw some old lady with one above her steering wheel which she could only just see over!
      I replaced Gf Chefs New Polo Stereo with the RNS510 from VW and that redirects due to bad traffic and IMO is as good if not better than the previous tomtom, shame it doesn't have the John Cleese voice
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Shame it doesn't have the John Cleese voice
        You can just imagine it shouting "don't mention the war" at the top of it's voice.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

When I see these new Range Rovers (always seem to be in white) I can't help but think drug dealer.

They look completely pointless, unless your doing the Dakar rally - then they look as if they could be pretty handy.

Jag XF is a good call, very classy. 2nd hand Aston if I was looking for a bling car to use at the w/e's.
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
            When I see these new Range Rovers (always seem to be in white)
            White is the default colour, the only colour you don't pay extra for. I've actually seen more black than white.

As a indication of colour popularity, Autotrader currently lists 76 white and 60 black and the next most popular colours are Grey 41, Red 18 and Silver 13.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Is this the equivalent of HD traffic though, or is it just the ordinary TMC stuff?

Do you know where they get there data from? As far as I know TomTom are the only people who get minute-by-minute location data from mobile phone companies.

If they've licensed data from TomTom that would be good, but I don't know if any car makers do that.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                I replaced Gf Chefs New Polo Stereo with the RNS510 from VW and that redirects due to bad traffic and IMO is as good if not better than the previous tomtom, shame it doesn't have the John Cleese voice
                Did previous TomTom have standard traffic or HD?

Edit: google seems to indicate that RNS510 uses TMC, as far as I know that covers only a fraction of the roads compared to TomTom HD and updates far less often.

I should have asked if you paid a subscription for TomTom traffic information: the free traffic information is ordinary TMC, the one I'm talking about is the one where you have to pay an annual subscription.
                Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 10 September 2012, 15:10.

Comment

Checking on TomTom web site, it seems the following companies offer support for built-in TomTom (which would presumably allow HD traffic as an option.)

Renault, Fiat, Alfa, Toyota, Vauxhall, Mazda.

Sony.

(I was aware of Sony option, but think many new cars nowadays have completely non-standard integrated systems that can't be replaced with third-party units.)

Comment

Is this the equivalent of HD traffic though, or is it just the ordinary TMC stuff?

Do you know where they get there data from? As far as I know TomTom are the only people who get minute-by-minute location data from mobile phone companies.

If they've licensed data from TomTom that would be good, but I don't know if any car makers do that.
                    Wouldn't have a clue, I'm in Germany...I suspect its EON, TIM and TMC but its damn good, right up to the minute...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

White is the default colour, the only colour you don't pay extra for. I've actually seen more black than white.

As a indication of colour popularity, Autotrader currently lists 76 white and 60 black and the next most popular colours are Grey 41, Red 18 and Silver 13.
                      I've got 35 grand to spend but am too tight to pay £500 on paint. Can anyone recommend me a car that isn't white and comes with free metallic paint? (LOL).

Me, I've decided my next car will be in my own paint scheme via a vinyl wrap. I really liked the look of the Audi R18 at Le Mans Audi R18 TDI Image gallery (2) | Car Information Review - and as it will be on an Audi TT I thought it would look like a cool [or carp] rece replica. I've got a scalextric TT to test it out on. It s really a bit of fun to wind other road users up and go - look at that knob.

Actually - thought here, being a contractor - can I have my own company logo on the wrap (instead of free advertising for Audi) and therefore use company funds to pay for the wrap, thereby paying for advertising and getting a few more point from HRMC's business entity test? I'm sure this is a no brainer!

I let my son come up with a colour scheme - and I thought he had copied Benetton's Smart car from the early 90's but then remembered he wasn't born then. Every body panel was a different colour. ?? Don't think we'll be doing that one.
                      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Working...
                      X