• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arctic ice melting at 'amazing' speed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    If the Antarctic ice was melting then surely you would be seeing this reflected in accelerating sea level rises:

It is and you can

Increasing rates of ice mass loss from the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets revealed by GRACE
    A 20th century acceleration in global sea-level rise
    2009 a bit out of date. Scientific opinions are changing, and the sea level rise seems to have slowed siginificantly since 2009.

The Rapid Disintegration of Projections: The West Antarctic Ice Sheet and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

RealClimate: Is Sea-Level Rise Accelerating?
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

According to the OP , there is 4 m km2 of ice, which is 1% down on last year.

Where did you get 1% from? In the NSIDC figures, last year bottomed at 4.33 million sq km.

Arctic sea ice at minimum extent | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

Whereas we are now below 4 million ...

Arctic sea ice falls below 4 million square kilometers | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

A drop of more like 7% in a single year .

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Where did you get 1% from? In the NSIDC figures, last year bottomed at 4.33 million sq km.

Arctic sea ice at minimum extent | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

Whereas we are now below 4 million ...

Arctic sea ice falls below 4 million square kilometers | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

A drop of more like 7% in a single year .
          Is there data on thickness, PJ?
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Is there data on thickness, PJ?
            Yes, though it is harder to measure than area and extent- so uncertainties are higher, however the University of Washington maintain the PIOMAS dataset which combines area and thickness to give an estimate of volume. No good news there, either, volume is down by 75% over the satellite era.

Polar Science Center » Arctic Sea Ice Volume Anomaly, version 2

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              I have a lot of respect for EO on these forums, but the first line of your "discrediting link" clearly says:

One scientist even speculated that summer sea ice could be gone in five years.

It's hardly lets throw it all away, everyone's just using propoganda; is it? ....
              The point I am making, maybe poorly

is that these stories get the big headlines. The rebuttals and the failed predictions dont get the same headlines.

Its the continuous barrage of hype , exaggeration and fear mongering that annoys people who want the bare facts, and not the spin.

The OP link was more hype and spin in my opinion
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                In my experience neither matters. In modern life we are the centre of our own universe.
                Fair enough. But next time they ask you to send money quick, or vote for windmills
                remember,
                they speak with forked tongue
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  The point I am making, maybe poorly

is that these stories get the big headlines. The rebuttals and the failed predictions dont get the same headlines.

Its the continuous barrage of hype , exaggeration and fear mongering that annoys people who want the bare facts, and not the spin.

The OP link was more hype and spin in my opinion
                  If you want bare facts perhaps don't get your news from CUK?
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

That's an interesting view point from a small group of scientists quoting a paper from 6 years ago.

It would be more balanced if you were to examine the viewpoints of other scientists in the paper I posted.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 September 2012, 05:24.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      It is not possible to trust Greenpeace on matters such as these as you know fine well. One of their proudest boasts is that it's not the truth that matters, but what people believe.

i.e. propoganda

I'm ok with that - I think we have fuel companies on one side, greenpeace on the other, and the scientists and public in the middle.

If there was no greenpeace we'd all believe the energy companies. Amercia is crazy - they have a lot more political / policy / opinion leading adverts adverts over there - stuff like "have more CO2 it's good for you and the planet".

Greenpeace have to exist to fuel the debate and provide moderation. (Think Neo and Mr Smith). I think some stuff they do is mad and wrong, but some stuff is what the rest of us won't do (becuase it's illeagal) but needs to be done as what ever it is they are trying to stop has quastionable morals. Whether it's fishing for protected species or in a marine reserve, or climiting chimneys to hilight CO2 emissions if planning applications are permitted.

Beside it would be boning if there was no debate in society and we all agreeed with each other. I'm sure if all the worlds energy came from solar, and we had sustainable fishing and agriculture, income fairly dfistributed, there would something else we need to sort out. Like Simon Cowell having too much influence over the music industry.
                      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Working...
                      X