• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the parents among us....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    So, our child's well being is fecked because I go out to work?
    It depends how old s/he is. There are quite a few studies that show that high levels of group childcare from an early age have a detrimental effect on very young children compared to those who are cared for by parents, mostly affecting emotional and behavioural development i.e. they become more aggressive and disobedient. Once they are 3 or 4 years old however "early education" seems to be beneficial.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      It depends how old s/he is. There are quite a few studies that show that high levels of group childcare from an early age have a detrimental effect on very young children compared to those who are cared for by parents, mostly affecting emotional and behavioural development i.e. they become more aggressive and disobedient. Once they are 3 or 4 years old however "early education" seems to be beneficial.
      I'm glad your kids came with an instruction manual, unfortunately ours didn't. I think we'll "wing" it, we're not doing too bad thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        I'm glad your kids came with an instruction manual, unfortunately ours didn't. I think we'll "wing" it, we're not doing too bad thus far.
        Mine came with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Manual-.../dp/1844257592
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

We have that too!!
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

My instruction manual was passed down from my parents.

Family meals, don't cheek your parents, praise when praise is required, discipline when required.
            Routine, bath, bottle, bed. simple stuff and it works. If kids are tired they play up.

Comment

Yeah following science would make it too easy

There's clearly a big difference between going back to work, and being an awful working mother who fits her kid around her job. I imagine CM is the former type, don't you guys have Catholic roots about family being top priority after all
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                My instruction manual was passed down from my parents.

Family meals, don't cheek your parents, praise when praise is required, discipline when required.
                Routine, bath, bottle, bed. simple stuff and it works. If kids are tired they play up.
                Very similar - we figured routine from the moment we got home was best way forward. He was 6 days old mind you when we got home. We were both being treated for infections. But he settled down really quick.

Bath, bottle and bed is the best routine ever and he loves it. He sits on my lap in his bedroom, after his last bottle with his arms out to the cot so he can settle down and snuggle up to his teddy. He's been sleeping through since he was about 6 weeks. Bliss.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

My wife wanted to work, she went from customer service manager at a cutting edge pharma to primary school admin for 16 hours a week term time only to fit in with the kids holidays.

She earns £400 a month and it cost £120 for the youngest to do a half day a week at nursery whilst the grandparents do the rest.

I think France has a flat fee of 12 Euro a day for child care.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Nobody's kids came with an instruction manual. It falls on us as parents to make the choices we feel are right.

I was merely pointing out that the scientific evidence such as it is shows that large amounts of very early group childcare has a detrimental effect. In my opinion the public policy of practically forcing women to stuff the kids in the crèche and go back to work after a few months is misguided. It ought to be a choice that can be made after weighing the pros and cons and for a lot of people it's an economic necessity.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Lucky bastard. I had to buy ours.

Comment

Working...
                      X