• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your favourite mixer with spirits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Neat vodka I found in the cupboard earlier? Nah.
    I can't 'do' Vodka. To me it just tastes like whatever it's mixed with, and is consequently therefore my danger drink. I get drunk on it without being aware of it, and usually end up very ill the next day if I take any.

Spiced Rum and Diet Coke for me. I can highly-recommend its efficacy on relieving painful shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      I can't 'do' Vodka. To me it just tastes like whatever it's mixed with, and is consequently therefore my danger drink. I get drunk on it without being aware of it, and usually end up very ill the next day if I take any.

Spiced Rum and Diet Coke for me. I can highly-recommend its efficacy on relieving painful shoulders.
      I'll drink anything in any quantity without consequences. Most I've met at CUK meets will back me up
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Not much of a fan of mixers, but one spirit that needs it is Gin.

And on that basis... have you tried Gin & Russchian?

Comment

My favourite drink is Stolichnaya - can do drinking games with it neat + an ice cold water chaser

But it is nicer with fresh orange juice and ice
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

G & T and whisky & ginger are the only mixed spirits I'd drink, unless we count fancy cocktails. Oh, I'll occasionally use bitter lemon in a G&T.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post

How strange as clear liquids like vodka dont cause hang overs, something to do with congeners I believe.

The greatest amounts of these toxins are found in red wine and dark liquors such as bourbon, brandy, whiskey and tequila. White wine and clear liquors such as rum, vodka and gin have fewer congeners and therefore cause less frequent and less severe hangovers. In one study, 33 percent of those who drank an amount of bourbon relative to their body weight reported severe hangover, compared to 3 percent of those who drank the same amount of vodka.

Comment

Of course vodka causes hangovers. The quote you provide only suggests the same amount of vodka might cause less hangovers... if you drink a boat-load because you can't taste it, things are worse!
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Of course vodka causes hangovers. The quote you provide only suggests the same amount of vodka might cause less hangovers... if you drink a boat-load because you can't taste it, things are worse!
                  Not it doesnt, Ive never had a vodka hangover and id probably have around 4 shots before a night out (2 doubles) to get me in the mood, half a dozen vodka (upto a max of about 10) drinks mixed with shots during throughout the night. And I perhaps do this once every 3 months or so, so Im not exactly used to it as I do it so often.

And you dont have to taste it, you can feel it the effect. In my circle of friends the ones who get the hangovers are the ones who drink 10 pints as beer has loads of congeners.
                  Last edited by escapeUK; 1 September 2012, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Favourite mixer? Vermouth with gin.

Shaken, not stirred.
                    Vodka with vermouth, shaken with a twist or with olives.

Or vodka, lime juice and Ginger ale.

Vodka tonic.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      My favourite drink is Stolichnaya - can do drinking games with it neat + an ice cold water chaser

But it is nicer with fresh orange juice and ice
                      Have discovered sipsmith vodka of late. Favourite with tonic is skyy vodka but prefer belvedere, snow queen or grey goose for martinis.

Flavour of vodka differs from brand to brand.
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X