• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paralympics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

How they do it I don't know... maybe simply on statistical grounds.
    They work out how the disability effects them then categorise them.

There is one woman (can't remember her name) who is a swimmer who has been put up 2 levels as she was caught on Facebook standing up in photos and on Youtube in a promotional video walking with aids.

Apparently she was originally in a category where you weren't suppose to have control of your legs, and as she can clearly kick off and use them to move her she was made to move categories.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      Yep. And that guy Oscar Pistorius is amazing. He's even faster than some of the able-bodied sportsmen in his event.

To be fair, having a shrivelled hand does sound like a significant disability for a cyclist. That's like a Project Manager having a conscience.

There's nothing in the rules that says they have to be worse at their sport than their able-bodied contemporaries. If they can compete against other people that don't have their disabilities, all the more power to them.
      That's not a disability; it would be a miracle!

But anyway, yes a shrivelled hand might be a disability for a road cyclist, and even more so for a BMX cyclist or mountain biker, but not really for a trackie. Track cyclists really need three attributes; a means of holding on, strong legs and a small brain.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        Yep. And that guy Oscar Pistorius is amazing. He's even faster than some of the able-bodied sportsmen in his event.
        +1

one day at a time

Comment

The basketball is great!
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Track cyclists really need three attributes; a means of holding on, strong legs and a small brain.
            Ah that explains why Brillo is a good cyclist.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              The basketball is great!
              I heard a scandal was looming as some Team GB basketball players had tested positive for WD40

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
              X