• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone managed to reverse the 10% banking cut?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Like RBS never happened

My guess we will see at least 3 more like RBS next year.

HTH
    I had to call up LV about an insurance quote earlier this week only to be told they couldn't do any quotes because their "systems were down" (how very 1990's) does LV have a high Bob quota ?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      I had to call up LV about an insurance quote earlier this week only to be told they couldn't do any quotes because their "systems were down" (how very 1990's) does LV have a high Bob quota ?
      Worked for these guys about 12 years ago. (different name)

their servers had about 3 meg spare capacity. IT had to delete spreadsheets, just so accounts and the directors could create a new one

I sh!t you not

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Worked for these guys about 12 years ago. (different name)

their servers had about 3 meg spare capacity. IT had to delete spreadsheets, just so accounts and the directors could create a new one

I sh!t you not

I didn't fight the cut because I knew I was leaving anyway, besides, them giving me a 10% cut would give me an added incentive to look elsewhere for better work so I don't see it as that bad a thing. Hell I may even aim for a 20% increase in my next role.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
          I didn't fight the cut because I knew I was leaving anyway, besides, them giving me a 10% cut would give me an added incentive to look elsewhere for better work so I don't see it as that bad a thing. Hell I may even aim for a 20% increase in my next role.
          I never saw the point in taking a hit. I mean, it's not as if your costs have gone down by 10% all of a sudden.

I have never screwed a client when I had them over a barrell, I expect the same from them.
          A deal is a deal. renegotiate at renewal time by all means, but please dont make a mortal enemy for the sake of two or three hundred quid

do youse idiots realise how much damage I could do? if I were so inclined

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            please dont make a mortal enemy for the sake of two or three hundred quid
            10% of your contract is worth £300? The cuts were for IT contractors, not cleaners.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              10% of your contract is worth £300? The cuts were for IT contractors, not cleaners.
              watch it. I'm psychotic me
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

I'm 20% down on what I was making three years ago in a similar role (IB) but the story is the same all over. I'm still doing OK compared to a lot of other people though. If I'm asked to take another rate cut I will change industries as working in banking won't be worth it for me any longer (long commute, working with pl@nkers, long hours etc).
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  Trouble is the HR dept would tell from my passport that I am the same Kentphilip as the one wot left
                  This is HR we're talking about. You give them too much credit.

Comment

Just about to do a phone interview with a large corporate (14K staff globally). Checking their web site and the HR manager is listed in the companies top five "Big Players"!

Worried already...
                    Wibble

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                      This is HR we're talking about. You give them too much credit.
                      Well if it was up to me I'd give it a try, as I have nothing to lose. But my managers are rather risk averse.

Another idea I've suggested is to leave for a month and then return - that way I would be classed as a new contractor, not one seeking an extension.

Also I've suggested getting a mate to apply for the contract at a high rate (which would be accepted) and then subbing all the work out to me, with us splitting the difference. But that was rejected by them too.

No I think I'm just going to have to leave them to it. At least this way I get a pay rise (at my next contract), plenty of time off, and another contractor is provided with a reasonably well paid gig.

Comment

Working...
                      X