• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any tips for shoulder pain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You would be very lucky to get that out of an NHS GP.

Though it is worth going to the GP instead of being a martyr.

Lots of men refuse to go and then it turns out more serious then they think.......

GPs tend to get worried when they see people they haven't seen for a few years.

The worse the doctor can do is tell you to take pain killers. The best they can do is refer you to someone else.

If they refer you to a physio and you don't have private health care, find one (by word of mouth) and pay for it yourself. You will mend quicker.
    It's not being a martyr, I just know from experience that there's little doctors can do about pain emanating from the spine, outside of the sort of major surgery NAT mentioned. And I'm not at that stage yet.

When I went to my GP last year, she just said that I should see an osteopath or a chiropractor. I asked what the difference was, and she didn't know! I appreciated her honesty, and know she's a good doctor as I've known her for years, but spinal health does seem to be a grey area with some very dodgy practitioners operating within it in the private sector.

After seeing the doc, my back stayed sore for the next three months, before spontaneously clearing up on its own. About two months later, it flared up for a few days only again, at which time I sought out a private chiropractor. He charged me £60 for an electromyogram (a kind of dodgy device that looks like it belongs in 1970's Russia that they touch to your back, then show you a diagram of how out of alignment your chakras are or something), a look at a poster hanging on his wall, and advice that a course of 'treatment' costing £800 was exactly what I needed, with more possibly to follow to keep my spine in tip-top shape.

The pain went away only a day or two later, and has stayed away until now. So far, this Dark Rum's helped more than that dodgy chiropractor did.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      It could be a stroke !
      No, that would have affected mY typIng tooooooooooo.

Comment

yes. it's important to keep ones chakras in line

I sleep in a pyramid as well. just to keep sharp, and I take especial care with the ley lines in me garden

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
          It's not being a martyr, I just know from experience that there's little doctors can do about pain emanating from the spine, outside of the sort of major surgery NAT mentioned. And I'm not at that stage yet.
          You said it was your shoulder so it could be muscle pain.

Actually someone I use to work with ages ago used to have very bad posture. She complained of what you had. It was actually a muscle problem so she had to see a physio and was told to sit properly.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Years of neck pain, years of doc's, physio's and pills. No joy.

Went to a chiropracter (now retired unfortunately), one session for 20 quid and I was sorted. Pain free for 11 years and counting.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

there is a trend here

my doc told me it was my spine - two weeks later I was better
              my doc told me it was my muscles - two weeks later I was better
              my doc told me it was my posture - two weeks later I was better
              my doc told me it was my chakra - two weeks later I was better

blooming doctors

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I wouldn't trust the majority of people on here to change a lightbulb let alone a plaster and you are seeking medical advice?!
                Probably safer than asking for advice about anything I.T. related.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I wouldn't trust the majority of people on here to change a lightbulb let alone a plaster and you are seeking medical advice?!
                  Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  Probably safer than asking for advice about anything I.T. related.
                  I think you chaps are being very unfair, particularly in relation to lightbulb changing. Everybody knows it only takes two CUKers to change a light bulb: 1 NLUK to hold the bulb, and 1 newbie to wind him up by asking questions that have "already been answered in the ******* FAQs".

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    my doc told me it was my chakra - two weeks later I was better

blooming doctors

F*** it.

Just try some random alternative medicine i.e. acupuncture, homoeopathy, hot jars on your body, find a sympathetic practitioner and believe it will work.

You will be better in no time.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      Years of neck pain...
                      There's a cure for that: divorce.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X