• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need some advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    The expected fckwit drivel.
    Are you actually allowed within 500 metres of a school, you humourless ?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Are you actually allowed within 500 metres of a school, you humourless ?
      Humour? Just thread pollution.

Now be a good chap and just fck off and die quietly somewhere.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        The Sudoku test:

If you like doing sudokus (and mostly get them right) you'll make a great coder.
        And if you like doing Killer Sudoku, then you'll make a great software architect.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          And if you like doing Killer Sudoku, then you'll make a great software architect.
          And if you like filling in the pretty squares with coloured pens AND you like to highlight the squares as well, may I suggest Project Management may be your calling?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            #1 technology moves so fast, it's daft to focus upon technology. By the time you get the experience, it will be redundant

#2 Therefore concentrate on transferrable skills. Maths, logic, Business skills

#3 or concentrate on associated functions that are indespensible, law, accountancy etc

#4 suss out where the upper sixth girlies hang out...

Ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              and if you cheat, you'll make a great IT recruitment consultant
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                A cousin of mine is faculty head of ICT for a secondary school and she'd like me to talk to the higher computing class about the IT industry. What jobs and skills are required, what are the prospects (), what direction they should be heading in etc.
                How well would it go down when you tell them that everything they are learning hasnt been used for the last 10+ years.

Personally id suggest them to forget IT and focus on manual skilled work, such as electrician, plumber, things like that. Skills that will always be needed, can be paid in cash, cant be offshored and dont required learning the latest bulltulip from microsoft that is several times slower than the previous bulltulip and will be dropped in a years time anyway for the next round of even slower bulltulip.

That does sound quite bitter doesnt it, and I have earned a good living in IT and an excellent living contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

The Sudoku test:

If you like doing sudokus (and mostly get them right) you'll make a great coder.
                  But isn't coding more about patterns than arithmetic?

I've always found sudoku deathly boring, and I'm not a bad coder (although no doubt everyone thinks they aren't)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    But isn't coding more about patterns than arithmetic?

I've always found sudoku deathly boring, and I'm not a bad coder (although no doubt everyone thinks they aren't)
                    Sudoku isn't arithmetic. It's a logic puzzle - would work equally well with symbols.
                    I think the sort of person who enjoys logic puzzles like sudoku is likely to be the sort of person who enjoys coding.

As with most sweeping generalisations, there will be many, many exceptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X