• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how can a senior experience IT pro get into IB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    You are a mental midget. You use expletives in more or less every sentence you type.

Are you really angry about your micro penis?
    That, from someone who can't even spell?

I think I can shrug that one off.

Have another go Walter.

Comment

So to answer the op, it seems you need to be a narcissist with a talent for taking abuse and a willingness to take on any job however demeaning.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        So to answer the op, it seems you need to be a narcissist with a talent for taking abuse and a willingness to take on any job however demeaning.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Or, alternatively, you have to be tough enough to fight your own corner when needed. I've 10 years plus of IB work, and in all honesty I've only ever had one contract where it got "difficult." Even that was resolved by me pointing out - very loudly and clearly - what we had discussed in the interview and what items I'd made perfectly clear to them before I started. They backed off and everything was fine.

To the OP:

If you just don't like the "feel" of a person or a role, you should be skilled enough to spot that and walk away at the interview. I did just that for one IB interview I attended three months ago; whole thing was over in 60 seconds, as it was quite clear me that the Manager and I were never going to see eye-to-eye on anything. No point walking into an insane environment; life is just too short.

In general, I've had a pretty good time - and earned good money - in the IB work I've done. I've had more issues in Retail (that's Retail, not Retail Banking) than I've ever had in IB work.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

That's why I qualified my statement with "equities". The rest of the traders are spods. There are a lot of equities traders around.
            There are not as many equity traders as there used to be. Most banks have massively scaled back their Equities divisions since the crash of 2008 as they are expensive departments to run (needing lots of research analysts and quants, all effectively non-fee earning positions).
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

If you tried that you'd probably get your head kicked in. Most (equities) traders are more than capable of handling an IT nerd like yourself.

Did you see it when it kicked off in the City in May 2003? The "anarchists" got a right pasting from some traders.
              I remember working down at St Catherine's Dock when some eco-oiks tried to raid the Energy trading floor and were given extremely short physical shrift from the barrow-boy traders. I suppose if they interfere with their work it means they could be losing quite large sums of cash, tends to get people upset.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                ... departments to run (needing lots of research analysts and quants, all effectively non-fee earning positions).
                Didn't we have a quant on here some time back?...iirc sasguru got infatuated
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

just found this on sybase website
                  Adaptive Server Enterprise

Powering 24 of the top 25 global banks and 46 of the top 50 top global banks and securities firms, the ASE mission-critical enterprise database management system is known for its rock solid reliability, superior performance and low total cost of ownership.

i bet other vendors say the same thing ?

this thread has grown 4 pages long and i can see that 3 pages are not related to the main question, could you please start your own thread if you got nothing to contribute to this one particular question? start ur own thread and i will see u there ...
                  Last edited by calacik; 24 August 2012, 22:36.

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
                    hi

what are hiring criteria for investment bank contracts?
                    how can someone senior but with no financal experience get into IB?

i undrestand sybase is commonly used rdbms platform , will it help if i pass sybase exams?
                    my current employer doesnt use sybase so cant get my hands on it.

thanks
                    Don't bother. The crack isn't good.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
                      just found this on sybase website
                      Adaptive Server Enterprise

Powering 24 of the top 25 global banks and 46 of the top 50 top global banks and securities firms, the ASE mission-critical enterprise database management system is known for its rock solid reliability, superior performance and low total cost of ownership.

i bet other vendors say the same thing ?

this thread has grown 4 pages long and i can see that 3 pages are not related to the main question, could you please start your own thread if you got nothing to contribute to this one particular question? start ur own thread and i will see u there ...
                      Oh dear. Someone needs to explain the point of CUK General. I'll pass this time.

Anyway, have you tried bleeding the radiators?
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X