• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The American Dream

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    The early USA was much like what i describe.
    In what sense? Equality of opportunity? Free markets?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Tariffs on foreign imports were only removed in the US in 1912. The Federal Reserve was formed a year later. So the the US had a free market for about a year?
      Prior to that the economy was first enabled by indentured labourers coming from Europe followed by free slave labour. Hardly free enterprise, eh?

I put it to you, sir, that you are talking out of your arse.
      I feel that you are moving the goal posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        In what sense? Equality of opportunity? Free markets?
        Neither as it turns out, for anyone with even a passing familiarity of US history.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

And I know you're spouting bollux.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I was talking about the lack of government fiscal levels that has resulted in the recent recession - If you follow the quotes through logically.

Unfortunately there has never been a completely free market. However there have been freeer and less free markets and the results are there for all to see.

Comment

YOU have the opportunity to cement the goalposts in the place you want them, namely because in your own words 'The early USA was much like what i describe.' All you have to do is give us a range of years. We don't need months or weeks or days, just years, to illustrate which particular period of US history you mean.

Comment

I was talking about the lack of government fiscal levels that has resulted in the recent recession - If you follow the quotes through logically.

Unfortunately there has never been a completely free market. However there have been freeer and less free markets and the results are there for all to see.
                Give us some examples of each.

Comment

You're right about that.
                  Most growth in the US and UK has occurred when markets have been least free, usually when there's something or someone to exploit.
                  Most innovations that have chnaged history have been government funded, from atomic bombs to the internet.

HTH, BIDI.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

A few historical examples...

Free market = Hong Kong
                    Less free market = China

Free market = USA
                    Not free Market = Soviet Russia

Comment

A few historical examples...

Free market = Hong Kong
                      Less free market = China

Free market = USA
                      Not free Market = Soviet Russia
                      USA's in hock to China, and not just a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X