• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Android Tablets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    ultimately Android will rule the universe
    Not if they don't sort out the navigation app, they won't get off the planet

Comment

A little over 3 weeks till it's announced (iPhone5) personally I prefer Android over iPhone I hate the walled garden approach especially as it costs so much. In terms of the phones they're not exactly stellar anymore it's the apps ecosystem that keeps people locked in would you want to change if you shelled out GBP's on apps
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        it's the apps ecosystem that keeps people locked in would you want to change if you shelled out GBP's on apps
        I've spent £20-£30 on apps, Not enough to keep me locked into Android.

Comment

You're obviously an exception to the rule, I was talking more in terms of the Apple apps ecosystem
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Android 4.1.1 ? Anyway it's Jelly Bean on a Google Nexus S (made by Samsung) so vanilla Google.

Some I'll admit was pilot error but talk about not integrated. My biggest bug-bear was Trip Advisor app not linking to Navigation properly, constantly 'forgetting' where I was or where I wanted to go. And Maps. Urgh! Took me ages to discover there was a 'navigate' option which was sometimes there and sometimes not, I can't say how or why. And find somewhere on trip advisor, go to maps and it can't find the address, suggesting an address in outer mongolia rather than its slightly misspelled version of the place I'm 1km from.

All in all a very unhappy experience. iPhone 5 for me and maybe an iPad in the next few days just to cheer myself up.

Right from the start I felt you had to be a bit of a hacker to get Android to do anything useful and I wasted so much time faffing around with it last week I just give up. I know many Android users who don't work in IT who basically can't get their phone to do anything useful whatsoever. Yet iPhone is used successfully by total morons.

I know two happy Android users: GingerJedi on here and a bloke at ClientCo.
            Nexus S here. I suppose if hacking to you is having to enter your gmail account and your WiFi password, then yes you do need to be a hacker to set it up. I've never done any more than that.

I admit I've never used the navigation extensively, but this being Android you're free to choose a better navigation system.

BTW Firefox has Flash built in in JellyBean. So if you care about Flash, use Firefox (again, because this is Android you get to choose your favourite browser). I prefer Opera, and it is a bit of a PITA that since the upgrade I can no longer view videos on sites like the BBC, but again this being Android I could choose to install the app without requiring anyone's approval if I wanted to.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I suppose if hacking to you is having to enter your gmail account and your WiFi password, then yes you do need to be a hacker to set it up. I've never done any more than that.
              Well you have done more than that because you've made browser choices based on technology issues. Well I'm a pretty technical guy but life is too short for me to spend buggering about trying to get my phone to work e.g. getting Flash to work in this or that browser etc etc.

Buggering about with stuff I get paid for is fine, but not my phone.

Comment

Isn't that the beauty of it being able to do what you want with your property? rather than being told no you can't do this or that
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Isn't that the beauty of it being able to do what you want with your property? rather than being told no you can't do this or that
                  Yeah I see your point, but nobody ever moaned that their Nokia 3310 was restricting.

EDIT: but bottom line I find this 'doing what I want' to be a PITA, not fun, not anymore.

Comment

Fair one but I'm looking forward to seeing you post when the iPhone doesn't live up to your expectations
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Fair one but I'm looking forward to seeing you post when the iPhone doesn't live up to your expectations
                      A 'for sale' advert !

Comment

Working...
                      X