• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more Arctic ice within ten years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I haven't heard that concern.
    Id be more concerned that uncontrolled breeding gives us a population that cannot be fed and famine, plague and war destroys the excess. Worrying that an uninhabitable region of the earth becomes less uninhabitable is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      Why would that be a worry? The area is inhospitable to life do to being too icey, so it becoming less icey has to be great news.
      get lost trolling. You total numpty, real people are dying as a result of this, man made or not.

We need ecological diversity and things to eat you Muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        Id be more concerned that uncontrolled breeding gives us a population that cannot be fed and famine, plague and war destroys the excess. Worrying that an uninhabitable region of the earth becomes less uninhabitable is a waste of time.
        It becomes less habitable if the ice is less stable, arguably... you can't build a base on unstable ice. Read Shackleton's accounts for real-life examples
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          I hope you are right, I think though that the worry is that it will be permanent, permanently gone.
          Im not aware of even the biggest champion of the global warming theory supporting that POV.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            get lost trolling. You total numpty, real people are dying as a result of this, man made or not.

We need ecological diversity and things to eat you Muppet.
            Real people are who exactly? Or are they another leftie cliche?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

and you.
              At least I.know I've been to these places and met and seen these people. I already know your ethos of if they don't make you money they are as good as dead to you.

Real people are the first nations of Canada, the Inuit, Alaskans, northern Labrador,the Yukon , north west territories, northern Russia etc. Taiga Net: Co-operatively run environmental and community network

I don't know why I even entertain you though DA, you talk tulip and lie for your own profit for a living.
              Last edited by Scoobos; 14 August 2012, 20:42.

Comment

The Nerdy Bit

The Arctic ice is climatically important because of its contribution to planetary albedo: in round numbers, ice reflects around 90% of incoming radiation, while sea absorbs around 90%. So the ice melt tends to accelerate global warming. The warmer air decreases the temperature differential between the arctic and temperate zones, which moves the jet stream, so paradoxically, a warmer Arctic may mean a rainier and snowier Europe.

The Arctic Ocean is nearly enclosed by land, and basically freezes up each winter, however the ice area remaining at the summer minimum, which occurs in September has been steadily decreasing, and will probably reach a new record low this year, after the recent severe Arctic storm. The point at which there is no arctic sea ice is more of a psychological than a climatically significant point - the sight of a dark pole where we're used to ice will be a remarkable - and undeniable - indication that the planet is warming, and it looks like it will occur sooner than almost anyone forecast.

Last edited by pjclarke; 14 August 2012, 22:05.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

meanwhile in the real world. drilling halted due to thickest ice in a decade
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Your 'real world' appears to be a single spot, in the Beaufort Gyre, where the ice is subject to variable wind and currents, and you are relying on a Shell Oil spokesman. Classic. Pick a spot that is utterly unrepresentative of the real world trend and call it the 'real world'. Anthony Watts would be proud.

My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

30 years is too short a time to see the extent of natural ice variability.

This scientific report points out the correlation between solar activity and ice extent. Since we've had a solar maximum over the last 30 years, it is hardly surprising that the ice extent is low.

www.dmi.dk/dmi/sr05-02.pdf

Solar activity has now dramatically gone down, so it's likely at some point in the near future it will start to expand.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X