• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you suck at your religion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Did you mean "aren't"?
    Bugger.

Anyway, I think it fails, since it shows what an athiest thinks religious people think (very stereotypically), rather than lampooning what religious themselves say they believe. Much more fertile ground in my opinion.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hahah very good. Can't believe there are still people who believe religious teachings? I guess when they discovered the earth was round it took a few hundred years for weak minded to come around.

Comment

Oatmeal used to be good - look at the older stuff - but now it's just the soapbox for a bitter middle-aged man's complaints about the world.

As for this particular article... meh. Religion is such an easy target; this attack is on a level with a 13-year-old's first 'dissing religion to look cool'. It's a bad sign for a start that as a typical ignorant Yank he thinks Christianity is synomous with Religion.

He's factually incorrect about Galileo AND stem cell research, and he seems to be under the delusion people only become religious due to childhood indoctrination. Sounds to me like he has unresolved childhood issues of his own.

I don't mind humourous attacks on religion if they're done well, but this is just frothy-mouthed bile, it's the Frankie Boyle of anti-religious comedy. Hyperbole and a half is far better

Hyperbole and a Half: Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving
        Last edited by d000hg; 14 August 2012, 11:02.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Anyway, I think it fails, since it shows what an athiest thinks religious people think (very stereotypically), rather than lampooning what religious themselves say they believe. Much more fertile ground in my opinion.
          I have to agree with that.

Mind you the "purple versus green" one does remind me of when I was a nipper and my father barged into my bedroom one Sunday morning and retuned my radio off Children's Favourites to Hymns.

I immediately tuned it back.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            He's factually incorrect about Galileo AND stem cell research, and he seems to be under the delusion people only become religious due to childhood indoctrination. Sounds to me like he has unresolved childhood issues of his own.
            I just dismissed that as the usual poorly researched FUD that gets peddled as an "intelligent" atheist point of view
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I just dismissed that as the usual poorly researched FUD that gets peddled as an "intelligent" atheist point of view
              And alongs comes one to prove it.

Originally posted by louie View Post
              Hahah very good. Can't believe there are still people who believe religious teachings? I guess when they discovered the earth was round it took a few hundred years for weak minded to come around.
              Hi Russell. You might like to know that "flat earth" has never been a mainstream religious belief. The fact that the earth is round has been known for thousands of years.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And that 'paying your salary net of tax/NI' was a real bugger for some people too
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Or the fact that given a set of instructions an idiot could follow there's always someone retarded enough to **** even that up. Eh, Russel?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Bugger.

I missed this... you said it better than I tried to.

Of course there ARE people who do exactly what the comic claims - every stereotype is embodied in some people - but they are the minority not the norm. Even in America.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Wow a lot of nerves touched, didn't realise this place was full of religopaths, makes sense given the moronic posts from some.

Comment

Working...
                      X