• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does private education produce so many medal winners?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Why 'Oh Dear'?
    Because it proves some of the traits of this thread wrong. Actually a new thread could be started "Why are state schooled sports people some of the highest earners?" and just put a list of the Premier League?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I did GCSE PE when I was in school and I have to say that even though there were some talented people in my class none of them went on to be professional sportsmen or women, shame really. I really just don't think the roadmap exists to pluck these people from their schools and give them the advice on where they can go to improve and hone their skills.

My high school did however produce Colin Jackson
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        It's because fatcher sold off the playing fields innit.

Discus
        I don't recall my local Comp having access to sailing boats, rowing boats, tennis courts, horses or £20k racing bikes.

Olympics 2012: team GB medal winners broken down by sport, education and sex | Sport | guardian.co.uk

(Though according to the charts in here is slightly pisses on my comment about horses & racing bikes )
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I have to love the: Where do Team GB's athletes come from?

Makes me laugh how we proclaim it as GB and then they do this, it is however as expected but still rather pathetic. I am from Wales but I refer to myself as British and I support all British national teams regardless. Being in Switzerland for months has shown me that despite the flaws of the UK it's people are top notch.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            This also had the downside that kids who weren't sporty had a hard time of it. If you weren't sporty or very gifted academically then you were fecked.
            The academically gifted of us soon got p*ssed off with getting put in last to bat at cricket and being excluded from football in the playground, so we got stuck into other sports we could do well at. I was outshone by others at cricket and football but on a rugby pitch I was fearless. Our options opened up moving from the prep school to the main school, with a swimming pool, squash courts and rowing available, plus more cultural things like chess club, film club, debating society etc.

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            I was a runner, mainly 1500 and Cross Country and because I was on the team, my weekends were owned by the team. I'd spend at least one full weekend day training or competing, I didn't have a choice in that. Hated it at the time but thats another reason, they push you more.
            I hated track running but we had some good woods near school which provided proper Cross Country, with hills, mud and streams aplenty. I really enjoyed that.

At my school we had Tuesday and Thursday afternoons off, plus Saturday morning school.That gave us two or three afternoons of sport every week. Lunch breaks were long enough to eat and fit in a decent training session, and some of our teachers were excellent coaches. As a result we had some good teams who could compete at National Schools level.
            Last edited by Sysman; 6 August 2012, 11:56.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It's because the Olympics is full of posh people sports. Like rowing, shooting, sailing etc.

All the chavs play football.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                It's because the Olympics is full of posh people sports. Like rowing, shooting, sailing etc.

All the chavs play football.
                One of my chav mates was getting quite good at shooting. Until the fooking system locked him up. Its discrimination against those who don't have an estate to shoot on - and have to practice at the local post office. How was he to know there was a cash delivery taking place?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  One of my chav mates was getting quite good at shooting. Until the fooking system locked him up. Its discrimination against those who don't have an estate to shoot on - and have to practice at the local post office. How was he to know there was a cash delivery taking place?
                  My late brother-in-law was a very decent old Etonian builder, who would have given him a step up. He employed a lovely chap who'd been away after a unfortunate sequence of events ended up with an old lady sucking on the of his shot gun on the floor of the local post office.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    My late brother-in-law was a very decent old Etonian builder, who would have given him a step up. He employed a lovely chap who'd been away after a unfortunate sequence of events ended up with an old lady sucking on the of his shot gun on the floor of the local post office.
                    How long did he get? My mate got 6 years. Though he was only caught as he was grassed up. The rest of the gang are still trying to hunt the snitch down.

Comment

In the comprehensive school I went to:

We had a couple of football/rugby pitches
                      Some tennis courts.
                      A hockey pitch.
                      An athletics track with long jump/shot put etc.
                      Two sports halls.
                      A swimming pool.
                      just before I left we also got a machine based multigym.

I think the school had teams in rugby, football and hockey.

Not very impressive facilities although I was in the same form as Shane Williams so we did something right!
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X