• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the gloss coming off contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon you should all get out of contracting as soon as you can.
    In fact get out of any kind of software development in the finance sector at all.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      I'm not so sure fella, unless HMRC can outlaw being self employed, or an individual’s right to run a business - (which they can't) it's not going to happen.

This is the whole deal with IR35 imo, they are just trying to scare people to "fess up" in each iteration. I reckon loads of contractors would have been stupid enough to send in their contracts voluntarily.

On topic, for me a lot of it comes down to a change in Executive style and trends away from being "innovative" to "cost saving" ... Cost saving, in my experience means guaranteeing (Sp?) long term failure for the short term success of fudged increased profit <cough, efficiency> figures.
      But they are dealing with this with increasing pressure. As the number of PSC's go up so will the pressure for them to pay up until some knee jerk across the board totally unfair policy comes in. As the problem gets bigger you are damn sure the effort to fix it is going to match. What are they going to do? Give up? The only saving grace is they are doing it badly for the moment.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        no
        Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
          Yes
          Depends
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
            Yes
            WHS^

Ta.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

ta
              WHS
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Yes

In area of work (solution architecture) not seen the rates go up at all over the last 5 years, seeing more bobco's hiring UK contractors for naff rates, and driving the market down. As well as more and more bob's in clientco's in general, can't clientcos understand that throwing brown bodies at a job doesn't help!. Getting bored at last number of gig's.

Am tempted to go for a permie role and see if I can x-train into something else.

Then again, maybe not .... Meh
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

ok
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Hearing recently from my accountants (NW) that HMRC has created three new depts/teams to deal with IR35 got me pi$$ed off and then the Hays contract fails the IR35 review so I have been wondering if this was the end of contracting, media driven witch hunt and all that.

But having chatted to Mandy at PSG got me all smiley again, she soothed all my fears. Hector can go and whistle, I've worked AT (not for) 15 different clients, yeah disgused employee - I must be tulip at my job! Its a bit subjective the OP, as we've all being doing this for different lengths of time. I was busy being stoodant during the nineties so can't comment. Acutally it was just like contracting just with a lot less money.

Personally in 10 years I've been through the good and bad of contracting; pimps still haven't a clue of the world of contracting; searching for gigs and negotiating rates can be tiresome, the opt in/out can be frustrating, but I would give it all up if I could get off my arse and give plan b a go.

Sod going permy though.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X