• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hit and run and pass and pass and pass and

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took a full two minutes - in which at least six drivers drove around her
    OK, this isn't ideal, but waiting two minutes for a Good Samaritan to stop isn't that bad a record. There are many different sorts in our society, but there's no particularly worrying shortage of good types.

When I bring the kids home from school on their bikes we have to cross a busy road. Some drivers spot us from 50 yards away, slow down and flash their lights so we can cross safely. Other drivers speed up and swerve round us even if we're already half way across the road. How much this bothers you depends on the old glass half full/half empty attitude really.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      Ahh, you were just talking complete arse as per usual. Carry on.
      No, I think talking 'complete arse' is your job, isn't it

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
        OK, this isn't ideal, but waiting two minutes for a Good Samaritan to stop isn't that bad a record. There are many different sorts in our society, but there's no particularly worrying shortage of good types.

When I bring the kids home from school on their bikes we have to cross a busy road. Some drivers spot us from 50 yards away, slow down and flash their lights so we can cross safely. Other drivers speed up and swerve round us even if we're already half way across the road. How much this bothers you depends on the old glass half full/half empty attitude really.
        I remember a crossing lady stepping out into the road and, I, like a good boy, pulled up on my motorbike, only to be overtaken very close by a car that was following me who then proceeded to scare the life out of the crossing lady...
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65

I get confused when I see cyclists who want to be treated as pedestrians or as traffic depending on their whim. Generally I go into auto pilot mode and treat them as road furniture.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            I get confused when I see cyclists who want to be treated as pedestrians or as traffic depending on their whim. Generally I go into auto pilot mode and treat them as road furniture.
            Agree LG. Shouldn't there be a 'Highway Code' for cyclists? I thought there was one already but nobody seems to obey it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              Agree LG. Shouldn't there be a 'Highway Code' for cyclists? I thought there was one already but nobody seems to obey it.
              Sure, there's a Highway Code which applies to all users of the highway, and many people break it (or have no idea what's in it in the first place). Any experienced cyclist knows that the only way to survive is to assume that every other road user is drunk, blind, psychotic or drugged up anyway. Not a good policy to rely on anyone else out there, however decent and alert many drivers may actually be.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                Once again, and not just to you Bogey, where is the evidence that any of these people "failed to stop" rather than "failed to notice"!

If you don't notice the car infront of you knocking someone into the air then you are driving without due care and attention.
                I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                  If you don't notice the car infront of you knocking someone into the air then you are driving without due care and attention.
                  Gut feeling is I agree, but I reckon that is debatable.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                    I know of someone who swerved, pulled over and stopped when he saw a dead body on the motorway. It had been run over by at least 5 other cars in front that were seen to bounce and they lost count of the others that just ran over it whilst waiting for the plod.

They won't ever ever bother to stop and report again.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Here's a good one...

An open verdict has been recorded on a driver found dead next to his car on a motorway in October last year.

The inquest on Martin McDonagh, 27, heard that he was struck by a van which failed to stop after getting out of his car on the M40 in Oxfordshire.

He was three times over the drink-drive limit and was standing in the slow lane after having crashed on the motorway.

Police have been unable to trace the vehicle that hit him but believe it was a blue Nissan Urvan.

Oxford Coroner's Court heard that forensic investigations showed Mr McDonagh's Mercedes had struck the central reservation of the motorway before crossing the carriageway and ending up on the hard shoulder.

They also found he had been standing in the slow lane of the motorway and not the hard shoulder as previously thought.

Police sent letters to all registered owners of the 2,347 blue Nissan Urvans but the driver responsible failed to come forward.
                      Now there's a surprise, he didn't come forward. Perhaps next time there's a crime committed, the old bill could try writing to everyone in the country and ask whoever did it to come forward?

Comment

Working...
                      X