• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigrant versus native builders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    That won't work, the victim has to be somewhat likeable and you have to feel some sympathy for them.
    bad things happen to good people
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
      That won't work, the victim has to be somewhat likeable and you have to feel some sympathy for them.

Have you noticed in those programs they often only have one half of a couple talking and have their "sweet" kid(s) on screen?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        so far their work has been of immaculate and exemplary standard.
        How would you know ?

Are you qualified to recognise if any relevant building codes or "best practices" have been followed or does it just "look nice"?

Do you have any practical experience yourself to be able to reference when monitoring the work in progress, an awful lot of bad things can be hidden behind pretty façades in the building trades
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

So had quite a lot of renovations to do across two properties, my initial estimate was approx £50K worth (actually will turn out more as I think of new jobs), so not too small a job.
          Get 997 Turbo instead

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            How would you know ?

Are you qualified to recognise if any relevant building codes or "best practices" have been followed or does it just "look nice"?

Do you have any practical experience yourself to be able to reference when monitoring the work in progress, an awful lot of bad things can be hidden behind pretty façades in the building trades
            Electrics have been certified as they must nowadays. As has gas.
            With the plumbing I have experience from past builds/renovations with my BTLs. I know enough even if I may not be able to do it myself.
            Having said which I've watched so many bathroom and kitchen instals I reckon I could have a pretty good go myself.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I know enough even if I may not be able to do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Its not half as ridiculous as you running a business
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Only for the next 10-15 years.

In 2025-35 there will be a lot of houses with dated decor from around 2012.
                  I'll be between 80 and 90 by then.

After a comment 20 years ago when a load of old folks came to my local pub to listen to some idiot playing Vera Lynn on a Hammond organ I might be happy to enjoy a bit of Led Zep and Deep Purple in an old folks home.

Or better yet, just buy somewhere I can potter around the garden until I pop my clogs.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Least it won't be woodchip wallpaper but granite worktops and feature walls.
                  Or frigging oak beams either. That rural cottage I bought in the eighties had the full complement of woodchip and oak beams.

The wood chip was easy to get rid of. The oak beams however were still popular, so I sold the place.

I got sick of those oak beams...
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X