• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Immigrant versus native builders"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Only for the next 10-15 years.

In 2025-35 there will be a lot of houses with dated decor from around 2012.
    I'll be between 80 and 90 by then.

After a comment 20 years ago when a load of old folks came to my local pub to listen to some idiot playing Vera Lynn on a Hammond organ I might be happy to enjoy a bit of Led Zep and Deep Purple in an old folks home.

Or better yet, just buy somewhere I can potter around the garden until I pop my clogs.

Least it won't be woodchip wallpaper but granite worktops and feature walls.
    Or frigging oak beams either. That rural cottage I bought in the eighties had the full complement of woodchip and oak beams.

The wood chip was easy to get rid of. The oak beams however were still popular, so I sold the place.

I got sick of those oak beams...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Its not half as ridiculous as you running a business

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I know enough even if I may not be able to do it myself.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    How would you know ?

Are you qualified to recognise if any relevant building codes or "best practices" have been followed or does it just "look nice"?

Do you have any practical experience yourself to be able to reference when monitoring the work in progress, an awful lot of bad things can be hidden behind pretty façades in the building trades
    Electrics have been certified as they must nowadays. As has gas.
    With the plumbing I have experience from past builds/renovations with my BTLs. I know enough even if I may not be able to do it myself.
    Having said which I've watched so many bathroom and kitchen instals I reckon I could have a pretty good go myself.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So had quite a lot of renovations to do across two properties, my initial estimate was approx £50K worth (actually will turn out more as I think of new jobs), so not too small a job.
    Get 997 Turbo instead

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    so far their work has been of immaculate and exemplary standard.
    How would you know ?

Are you qualified to recognise if any relevant building codes or "best practices" have been followed or does it just "look nice"?

Do you have any practical experience yourself to be able to reference when monitoring the work in progress, an awful lot of bad things can be hidden behind pretty façades in the building trades

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    That won't work, the victim has to be somewhat likeable and you have to feel some sympathy for them.

Have you noticed in those programs they often only have one half of a couple talking and have their "sweet" kid(s) on screen?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    That won't work, the victim has to be somewhat likeable and you have to feel some sympathy for them.
    bad things happen to good people

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It's always a risk with a new builder.
    But so far not true as far as I can see.
    That's why I'm only doing small pieces of work at a time in a linear fashion. If the guy is a cowboy it'll soon show up and I will be able to stop him.
    managing a team with multiple work going on is harder.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You may need that regardless of how much you pay for the builder.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Nah, its about right for the work to be done. Not bottom end but you pay for what you get.
    And its staged payments - you only pay after a stage has been completed and you're happy with it.
    TBH I'm happy its one guy since its easy to manage, I get on well with him, he's very good and has so far solved all problems that have arisen.
    Downside is its much slower but I can live with that.
    Once you find a good builder in the SE, hold on to 'em I say, its a rare species.
    You_may_need_this

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Construction down 5% in Q2 - maybe fewer large sites?
    Yep.

Those in the building trade I know socially only like dealing with new properties i.e. constructing them from scratch as it's easier work.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Or more cash in hand?
    Cash in hand is only generally for smaller jobs or parts of large jobs. There are some who don't declare it anyway regardless of how you pay them, and loads work only enough to stay under the VAT threshold.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I'm not based in Central London and there is a lot of scaffolding round my way, and random builders vans blocking everything.

The reason is that people can't afford to move due to stamp duty or like my area for the schools, so are either putting in a loft conversion or doing up their house to live in.
    Construction down 5% in Q2 - maybe fewer large sites? Or more cash in hand?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I suspect you're right - people are renovating/extending rather than moving.
    Ironically what this depressed economic period may produce is a rise in the standard of owner-occupied accomodation.
    Only for the next 10-15 years.

In 2025-35 there will be a lot of houses with dated decor from around 2012.

Least it won't be woodchip wallpaper but granite worktops and feature walls.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X