• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigrant versus native builders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    It's also the cost of ripping off SAS. First question they asked was "How much do you have to spend?"
    Second was "Can you pay upfront?".
    Nah, its about right for the work to be done. Not bottom end but you pay for what you get.
    And its staged payments - you only pay after a stage has been completed and you're happy with it.
    TBH I'm happy its one guy since its easy to manage, I get on well with him, he's very good and has so far solved all problems that have arisen.
    Downside is its much slower but I can live with that.
    Once you find a good builder in the SE, hold on to 'em I say, its a rare species.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Only small sections - entirely based on central London.
      I'm not based in Central London and there is a lot of scaffolding round my way, and random builders vans blocking everything.

The reason is that people can't afford to move due to stamp duty or like my area for the schools, so are either putting in a loft conversion or doing up their house to live in.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I'm not based in Central London and there is a lot of scaffolding round my way, and random builders vans blocking everything.

The reason is that people can't afford to move due to stamp duty or like my area for the schools, so are either putting in a loft conversion or doing up their house to live in.
        I suspect you're right - people are renovating/extending rather than moving.
        Ironically what this depressed economic period may produce is a rise in the standard of owner-occupied accomodation.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I suspect you're right - people are renovating/extending rather than moving.
          Ironically what this depressed economic period may produce is a rise in the standard of owner-occupied accomodation.
          Only for the next 10-15 years.

In 2025-35 there will be a lot of houses with dated decor from around 2012.

Least it won't be woodchip wallpaper but granite worktops and feature walls.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Construction down 5% in Q2 - maybe fewer large sites? Or more cash in hand?

Comment

Construction down 5% in Q2 - maybe fewer large sites?
              Yep.

Those in the building trade I know socially only like dealing with new properties i.e. constructing them from scratch as it's easier work.

Or more cash in hand?
              Cash in hand is only generally for smaller jobs or parts of large jobs. There are some who don't declare it anyway regardless of how you pay them, and loads work only enough to stay under the VAT threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Nah, its about right for the work to be done. Not bottom end but you pay for what you get.
                And its staged payments - you only pay after a stage has been completed and you're happy with it.
                TBH I'm happy its one guy since its easy to manage, I get on well with him, he's very good and has so far solved all problems that have arisen.
                Downside is its much slower but I can live with that.
                Once you find a good builder in the SE, hold on to 'em I say, its a rare species.
                You_may_need_this
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  You may need that regardless of how much you pay for the builder.

Comment

It's always a risk with a new builder.
                    But so far not true as far as I can see.
                    That's why I'm only doing small pieces of work at a time in a linear fashion. If the guy is a cowboy it'll soon show up and I will be able to stop him.
                    managing a team with multiple work going on is harder.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

That won't work, the victim has to be somewhat likeable and you have to feel some sympathy for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X