• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Crikey. I dunno if I agree with that. Give yourself more credit, chuck. Your post made me wonder if I have any advice, but I'm not a techy; and therefore suspect it's very different when I apply and interview for roles.
    Same here, I've worked in a male dominated industry for years and "being female" doesn't do you any favours. Maybe its different for tecchy roles.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Same here, I've worked in a male dominated industry for years and "being female" doesn't do you any favours. Maybe its different for tecchy roles.
      Its not Norra. At the end of the day, if a man chose a woman for their looks, for a technical role, they'd not last long in the role. In Contracting, you are trying to get something done, not do someone. Trust me, as before with this poster, it's a little bit more about wanting people to look at her i.e. "Oh I am bottle shop blond and female and that helps me get gigs". Not true in the slightest and actually demeans women to say it, demeans men too. To be frank, if I had a woman letching it all up in an interview, it's very unlikely I'd put her forward; you want to know who's likely to do the role the best.

Just another pathetic post really.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gentile;1581672]Here are some rules of thumb that I've discovered over the years, and found to be huge time savers:

I think I'm in love - confident, smart and if the picture is true trim and blonde. It's all good and I would defo hire you on this basis, bollocks to the techy stuff, we can kick some deoderant-dodger a bit harder to cover....

Comment

I wouldn't bother with Pioneer. They contact you, tell you that you are great and match the role - blah blah blah - and want to put you forward. But they wont' tell you who the client is. No thanks, heard that one before. I only deal with REAL agencies !

Comment

I went for an interview in Edinburgh. Agency agreed to pay 50% of travel costs for the interview. I left home on a Friday at 5am parked at Heathrow, flight to Edinburgh; arrived at client's office 9am. 10am they gave the OK. Walked to the agency in the City centre and signed the contract to start Monday. Booked hotel for next week and booked the first flight for Monday am then flew back to Heathrow.

Monday morning on my way to Heathrow I get a text message that the end client has changed their mind due to budgetary issues. I never even got the 50% interview expenses back.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AussieDigger View Post
              I wouldn't bother with Pioneer. They contact you, tell you that you are great and match the role - blah blah blah - and want to put you forward. But they wont' tell you who the client is. No thanks, heard that one before. I only deal with REAL agencies !
              You're still sticking to ACCA members only?
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I went for an interview in Edinburgh. Agency agreed to pay 50% of travel costs for the interview. I left home on a Friday at 5am parked at Heathrow, flight to Edinburgh; arrived at client's office 9am. 10am they gave the OK. Walked to the agency in the City centre and signed the contract to start Monday. Booked hotel for next week and booked the first flight for Monday am then flew back to Heathrow.

Monday morning on my way to Heathrow I get a text message that the end client has changed their mind due to budgetary issues. I never even got the 50% interview expenses back.
                The first (and loudest) alarm bell should have rung at 50%. Either you pay, or they pay. This halfway-house stuff is horse-zhit.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  You're still sticking to ACCA members only?
                  I do hope so
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                  X