• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    So it goes. I'm off to the canaries for a week's scuba so I'll stop whining now.
    There's plenty of diving spots in the UK you can get to without taking a flight

Won't someone think of the carbons?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

Won't someone think of the carbons?
      He would still have to drive and I doubt he has an electric car where the electricity comes from renewable energy.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        He would still have to drive and I doubt he has an electric car where the electricity comes from renewable energy.
        Driving to anywhere in the UK is still better than flying to the Canaries
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
          Hedgy would be more risky if they start doing badly though right? Where do you go? Another hedgy (there aren't that many to go to), or back to banking because there are a lot of banking jobs (even though the pool is shrinking). I have been at 6 banks - the longest of those stints 5 years - it can be stressful but pound for pound i've found it better than other environments, certainly more lucrative. So you're working in the west end now then?
          If this hedge fund starts doing badly then they all will - they only take the very best. And if that happens you can assume that IB is totally down the pan. Even those at Goldman's dream of getting a call to interview here.

Indeed I am in Belgravia - at lunchtimes I can go to Chester Square and worship at Saint Maggie's house.

Comment

Yes I know, we're used to it , I should 'move on', its 'just business' blah blah.

But I'm getting seriously fed up with the amount of time and effort I'm having to put in chasing roles that turn out, if they exist at all, to be materially and demonstrably different from the ones advertised, most recently a role advertised as 'working in London or Scotland' , the London bit was a complete porky, they just put it in cos when they advertised it in as in Scotland only they got no serious takers, soon as I enquired (after 15 minutes of a recording telling me how passionate and professional we at Huckster Associates are) it was 'the manager has just confirmed that it is in fact Scotland only, now is there a rate that would tempt you up there ...?'

No there is not you timewasting liar.

Don't suppose there's any trade body or regulator I could complain to that would do any good? Or do I just suck it up?

Please feel free to use this thread as a repository for the most outrageous examples of agents/agencies playing fast and loose with the truth (without exposing CUK to a libel risk), there'll be a modest prize of a night out with the moderators for the most egregious example. (second prize: 2 nights out with the mods ...heh)
            Then of course you also get the opposite quite a lot.

Agency gives up trying to get contractors in London because the rate is so poor, so decides to advertise it to the peasants in wales, scotland etc. Then when you phone up the agent tries to make out it is local because hes absolutely convinced us peasants would love to go and live in the nations capital and are just waiting for the opportunity.

I know I've told this story before but many years ago went for interview in London. Agent swore blind role was in South West just interview in head office. 5 mins in, interviewer asks - so would you plan to relocate to london? WTF? end of interview. Played **** with agent - made him cough up £100 for train fare. In the end, admitted he thought I'd like the job so much I'd agree to relocate. Nobhead.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If this hedge fund starts doing badly then they all will - they only take the very best. And if that happens you can assume that IB is totally down the pan.
              That's not necessarily true. IB's like Goldmans don't have massive prop desks anymore. They won't get burned like a hedge fund in a black swan event.
              Last edited by aussielong; 25 July 2012, 09:28.

Comment

I know, I was at Capernwray last Saturday and it was tulip by comparison.

Hypocrite? Well, it is entirely possible to meet our carbon targets without a huge reduction in our consumerist lifestyles. The amount of CO2 per person per year that is compatible with the 80% reduction the science tells us we need is about 0.8 tonnes per person. Yes flying is damaging, however it is perfectly possible to take 1 short haul return flight a year and remain within that budget. Or if you think they work you could buy offsets for less than £5.

I've never flown long haul.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I know, I was at Capernwray last Saturday and it was tulip by comparison.

Hypocrite? Well, it is entirely possible to meet our carbon targets without a huge reduction in our consumerist lifestyles. The amount of CO2 per person per year that is compatible with the 80% reduction the science tells us we need is about 0.8 tonnes per person. Yes flying is damaging, however it is perfectly possible to take 1 short haul return flight a year and remain within that budget. Or if you think they work you could buy offsets for less than £5.

I've never flown long haul.
                  I have 2 acres of willow. I think I could fly around the world a few times...

Comment

What kind of job would be advertised as Scotland or London?

High probability of a lie there.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      That's not necessarily true. IB's like Goldmans don't have massive prop desks anymore. They won't get burned like a hedge fund in a black swan event.
                      Are you sure about that.

Are you really, really, really sure about that.

Why when I read your statement above did I immediately think "I thought you were intelligent until you opened your mouth"?
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X