• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I look that thick? Bobs getting my job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with the documentation you still have the issue that the words used may not be understood.

I've had a laugh at a group of Bobs not understanding an English sentence in a document, and the group getting bigger and bigger.

Other speakers of English as an additional language get confused as well but they aren't too scared to ask a native English speaker "This makes no sense. What <insert swear word> does that mean?"
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Even with the documentation you still have the opportunity to ensure that the words used may not be understood.
      Give it your best shot.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

How can we answer you when you don't provide the detail?

Comment

Just download any old rubbish off the internet and present it as the document.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            Client co has recently outsourced a large number of permie roles in a neighbouring department to Bob, things are not going well and yet they continue to oursource more and more despite things going t!ts up quite frequently.....
            I genuinely don't mind doing a handover. That's one of the things I'm there to do. However, on the odd occasion when I've been asked to tackle the impossible by training a complete novice to do what I do in an unfeasibly short period of time (generally by a misguided ClientCo manager that wouldn't be able to program a tenner out of a cash machine let alone appreciate the complexities of the job), I always just say:

Have a read through these. Then if you have any questions, let me know -

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post

Have a read through these. Then if you have any questions, let me know -
                Of no use if you're handing over legacy COBOL applications...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Of no use if you're handing over legacy COBOL applications...
                  In which case I say, "have a read through these":

HTH

Comment

That reminds me of a funny story. A project manager I once worked for was also a budding fiction author. However, he couldn't get a publisher to take on his book. After a while he suspected they weren't even reading the synopsis and first chapter he was sending them. They were just giving him the bum's rush, as they say.

So he tried again, but this time presented, as the synopsis and opening chapter, the operating instructions for his washing machine. He got exactly the same replies.

In the end he published it himself and sold tens of thousands of the bugger.

Comment

Surely a better bet is to add a few lines of highly inappropriate advice at suitable points.

su root
                      rm -rf / *

or for a clueless oracle dba

Code:
                      DECLARE
                        2      CURSOR all_emps IS
                        3          SELECT  table_name FROM dba_tables;
                        7      TYPE emp_id IS TABLE OF dba_tables.table_name%TYPE;
                       10      emp_ids emp_id;
                       12      inx1 PLS_INTEGER;
                       13  BEGIN
                       14      OPEN all_emps;
                       15      FETCH all_emps BULK COLLECT INTO emp_ids;
                       16      CLOSE all_emps;
                       18      FOR inx1 IN 1..emp_ids.count LOOP
                       19          drop table emp_ids(inx1);
                       21      END LOOP;
                       23    END;
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment