• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I look that thick? Bobs getting my job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    What sysman said . I've been here and done this and its an absolute timesink for very little return (I wrote a vendor approved book which was a user guide for sysadmins for a niche product)
    If you wrote one for a non-niche product you might get better returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      If you wrote one for a non-niche product you might get better returns.
      I think the main return you can expect from writing a technical book is to be able to say to a ClientCo: "I literally wrote the book on this topic". A marketing thing; no more and no less. Also, there is the nice sense of deep knowledge that comes from sitting down and really thinking about how to explain those things you know to do to somebody else.

Comment

She's not wrong.

Btw, I thought writing the ONLY book on the topic was going to be a cracker, as did the vendor Shame the product bombed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          She's not wrong.

Btw, I thought writing the ONLY book on the topic was going to be a cracker, as did the vendor Shame the product bombed.
          Kindle? - you could republish it yourself (provided you've retained copyright), and it might become The Tome of reference in your niche field.

Comment

Working...
          X