• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do permies assume we are poor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's the OP's attire?

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I _NEVER_ discuss my rate with permies. I'm quite happy to let them bash the costs of big consultancies but on the few occasions that a permie has openly winged about the cost of externals I point out that their internal cross charge rates are the same, if not higher. They get a confused look on their face and the conversation ends. Many just don't understand what our rate covers.

If anyone ever references my personal rate I just say that this is what the company charge not what I get.

Comment

I just smile when rate is discussed openly. Literally will not say a word if the conversation swings that way.

Comment

I find the opposite, most permies think us contractors are overpaid, but I always play it down, like "My Aston? Yeah its 1 year old and not that comfortable anyway".

Comment

All permies in my line of work know that contractors get paid well but thats off set with the odd stint on the bench and no holiday/sick pay etc. The car park doesn't seem to fit the mould here. Senior management have lots of German cars whereas contractors seem to make do with something a lot less desirable and blends in with the rest of the normal permies, i suppose topping up the war chest and sorting the mortgage out is priority for me and other contractors so i turn up in a £2k 10 year old car. Hourly rates are pretty easy to find so if they want to know ball park figures then it would take them a few minutes to find out, quite a bit of jelousy if anything, until they realise i can only do this by living away from home and not taking time off for a week in the sun 4 times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              I find the opposite, most permies think us contractors are overpaid, but I always play it down, like "My Aston? Yeah its 1 year old and not that comfortable anyway".
              WHS

I always hear comments about contractors being loaded, or if I mention how much time I like to take off people say "bloody hell, you must being getting paid too much".

Never had people I work with feeling sorry for me. I get that sometimes from friends or people outside of work who think anything other than a permie job is just temping, "Still temping? Oh well, I'm sure you'll get a proper job soon" or "Oh, is there no chance they'll offer you a permanent job?". I usually mutter under my breath that I bloody hope not.

Anyway, it doesn't even register on my list of things to concern myself with, and I recommend it doesnt for you either. Don't feel you need to point out how well off you are because nobody likes a twunt boasting about how much they make, it's a surefire way not to get asked back.

Comment

I trundle in each morning in my 9 year old Golf.
                We should do an experiment to see if this scales linearly with the age of the car. Try turning up in a 50 year old Ferarri

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I just smile when rate is discussed openly. Literally will not say a word if the conversation swings that way.
                  If I can be bothered (rare), I'll give some waffle re: no security, you could jump ship and do it, no holidays, no benefits etc.

one day at a time

Comment

I get that sometimes from friends or people outside of work who think anything other than a permie job is just temping, "Still temping? Oh well, I'm sure you'll get a proper job soon" or "Oh, is there no chance they'll offer you a permanent job?"
                    I thought it was just me that gets this I'm glad to see it appears to be a general thing that other contractors get also.

It drives me nuts, I can let it go most of the time but when its family I always feel I have to justify how I work as no doubt they think I'm taking advantage of my partner who chooses to work full time permermant while I'm obviously in their eyes having a great time at home and temping now and then!
                    Last edited by curtis; 6 July 2012, 09:19.

Comment

I've never come across this; I've seen the opposite several times, but I just don't talk about money with permies. On the rare occasion that some permie goes on about it and keeps asking about how much I earn I simply say 'enough; other than that it's none of your business'.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X