• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do permies assume we are poor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never had a permie think I was poor, far from it and the notion surprises me. Anyone in IT would know how much they could earn in their arena, permie or contract. Seems very odd to be frank.

Having enough money for 2 months isn't a warchest, it's a few quid. I'd advise you got down to the job centre and leave the 4k in the company. That will run out tout suite.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
      This is a bit of a rant so I apologize in advance...I've just been benched although I have a decent amount saved up...probably good for 2 months..However I decided to plan ahead so I was just throwing out some emails today, you know looking to line up some work for the future.

Just some of the responses you get are so patronising, albeit unintentional. 'Good luck with your job search, the climate is very tough' 'You don't have enough experience' etc etc..Sometimes I feel like screaming 'listen up permie I make double your salary' but of course then I would sound like an asshole

I noticed aswell when I freelance with companies, they seem to assume freelancers are charity cases, they work now and then for scraps..I got offered a job for 30k a year by a very good design agency, which I politely turned down but was laughing at the salary in my head (what's that 1.5k after tax a month?)..

Do these people not realise we are on pretty high day rates and most of us actually work at least 6 months of the year..me personally I aim for 8 minimum

I just don't understand this freelancer stigma, I'm sorry but there are no 9-5 success stories in this life, every millionaire is a limited company CEO (most of them at least I would imagine)

I guess there are lots of crap freelancers out there too, but I am quite proud of my work ethnic and yes, how much I earn while having a huge degree of freedom over all aspects of my business
      Well, firstly I'm in that twilight zone between contract and "perm" (ie permie money, contract regs).

I feel I need to enlighten you a little (and I hope I'm not coming off as even more patronising than the agencies), most pimps add "in the current tough economic climate" part because its good psych warfare.

I'll often return the favour by replying to ad hoc job ads under 30k with "
      £30? Dream on, son!", if for no other reason than to help out those poor fellas still on that kind of salary band.

Also, 2 months expenses is no kind of war chest, sorry. I've got between 6 months and a year, depending on how lavishly I want to live, and even then I don't go buying strangers rounds of drinks every Friday. Like the other fella said, get yourself onto Jobseekers and have Queen Lizzie's mob pay your rent/mortgage too, otherwise you'll be out of cash and probably in one of the jobs paying the money I mentioned in the paragraph above.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
        loool..sorry..I have a serious problem with typing and make mistakes like this all the time....my brain thinks one thing and hand types another word
        You should go back and double check the emails you sent out begging for work then.

Instead of typing "I am interested in any contract vacancies you may have available" you may have written "I'd like you to do me in the pooper chute" and that's why you're on the bench
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I swear I'm going to **** the next sockie up with a pool cue.
          Managed to extract it from your sphincter now, have we?

Don't forget my 40%.

Comment

I'm happy for them to think I'm poor, as I beleive any contractor who comes in and splashes it about would go down like a lead balloon here.

I trundle in each morning in my 9 year old Golf........ and let the missus drive the Range Rover through the electric gates to our 6 bed house.

Comment

What a load of tosh, permies think we are as rich as the queen.

One guy in particular always tries to get me to out my rate when we go out for a beer.

Even my wife only has a vague idea of my rate.

Agent, client, wife and myself, probably too many people who need to know in that list too.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by JaybeeInCUK View Post
                most pimps add "in the current tough economic climate" part because its good psych warfare.

Dear Mr Pimp,

I am indeed familiar with the current economic climate. In the last two weeks I have turned down three direct requests to interview me for project roles and two hard offers of roles, and am close to signing to a very attractive contract for a project role close to my home. In better times I'd have been able to turn down maybe twice as many roles to get the one I want.

YOU may be finding that the market for your skills is tough; if so, I wish you well and hope sincerely that better times are ahead. However, I should point out that people with rare technical skills are not suffering from a tough market; quite the contrary.

yours arrogantly

MTT
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  Having enough money for 2 months isn't a warchest, it's a few quid. I'd advise you got down to the job centre and leave the 4k in the company. That will run out tout suite.
                  WOHS. It's what I might have to pay out if the wife bought a new handbag, not what I've got stuffed away to live on.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

What puzzles me is why people would think the OP is an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      I've never had a permie think I was poor, far from it and the notion surprises me. Anyone in IT would know how much they could earn in their arena, permie or contract. Seems very odd to be frank.

The OP is a non-IT contractor. How the other half live, it's a different world out there!

Welcome jonson!
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X