• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankers fear reviews into interest-rate fixing scandal will be 'witch-hunt'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But Barclays never hid the fact that they rigged the markets.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      It's those in the banking industry who called it a witch-hunt, to make it sound like the wrong thing to do. My point is whatever they might call it, it is the right thing to do.
      Indeed. The 'witch-hunt' argument is a straw man fallacy. It's a charicature of normal legal process. Is it a witch-hunt if people are tried and then sentenced or released on the grounds of evidence for stealing, defrauding or some other real crime? No. Some people may want to portray that as a witch-hunt, but a witch-hunt is something very different indeed.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        It's those in the banking industry who called it a witch-hunt, to make it sound like the wrong thing to do. My point is whatever they might call it, it is the right thing to do.
        You didn't say you wanted a fair and thorough and impartial investigation which bankers might call a witch hunt. You said wanted a witch hunt.

The former is to be encouraged.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          You didn't say you wanted a fair and thorough and impartial investigation which bankers might call a witch hunt.
          Bankers are not exactly the kind of people who can't afford a good lawyer - they should have certainly saved up for that.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Bankers are not exactly the kind of people who can't afford a good lawyer - they should have certainly saved up for that.
            is that the kind of legal system you support, where you can buy your freedom? Showing your Russian roots...

Comment

is that the kind of legal system you support, where you can buy your freedom? Showing your Russian roots...
              No dumbo - what I am saying is that bankers can afford good lawyers who'd use every trick in the book to make sure trial is fair as otherwise it will fall over. Hence they can't complain about "witch hunt".

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Oooooo.

Can we do the Wicker Man thing as well?

That always goes down well.

That's for virgin policemen isn't it?

Or am I getting my medaeval rites mixed up?

Comment

Can you imagine how many people are currently getting litigious over this?

This is one public enquiry I'd actually like to see. They're all filth and will be falling over each other to dob each other in if they believe a bit of shower time is on the cards.

The chap who was believed to be overseeing the parliamentary enquiry has said he'd not want to do it, if it was seen as partisan or unsupported. Good man.

Comment

I'm wondering when the time will be right to buy Barclays stock.

Comment

I'm wondering when the time will be right to buy Barclays stock.
                      You mean all of it?
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X