• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does the Roman Catholic Chuch consider a couple married in a civil ceremony married?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on the dicoese interpretation and the congregational Priest's views on such matters.

But in general marrige outside the church is not considered marriage to the church.

Comment

The church MUST consider those in civil ceremonies to be married as they will not marry you if you have been married before in a civil ceremony.

Of course real Catholics will consider all your past sins to be wiped clean by Jesus once you ask for forgiveness.

Which is weirs as it means Hitler might have asked for forgiveness just before he shot himself and be in heaven now!

This theology business makes my head hurt....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        The church MUST consider those in civil ceremonies to be married as they will not marry you if you have been married before in a civil ceremony.

Of course real Catholics will consider all your past sins to be wiped clean by Jesus once you ask for forgiveness.

Which is weirs as it means Hitler might have asked for forgiveness just before he shot himself and be in heaven now!

It would have to be after he shot himself as we know what happens to suicides.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Under church law you are not considered married in the eyes of the church if you have had a civil ceremony. the church does not have to consider you married, even though under civil law you are.

Catholic ceremonies have both the civil and religious elements in one (hence the signing of the register at the end of a catholic marriage).

If you have just had a civil ceremony you could speak to the priest and ask if he would bless the marriage, but if one of you is not catholic and you want a catholic ceremony there is a hell of a lot of palaver ( I should know the ex- Mr N was non RC) to go through, not to mention an obligatory marriage guidance course, dispensations from Bishops etc... ad nauseum.

Also one to consider if you happen to get a civil divorce if you have had an RC ceremony, you are still considered married in the eyes of the church and will therefore be unable to marry again in a catholic church and can only do so if you have an annulment granted by the church.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Who cares what people who believe in the sky pixie believe? These people are to be pitied, have remedial education, not listened to.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              If you have just had a civil ceremony you could speak to the priest and ask if he would bless the marriage
              We tried that - priest said no. Mrs BP very upset.

I should not have let her speak to him. If I had spoken to him he would have said yes.

Well I would have asked him to name his price and he is VERY money motivated.

Comment

A mate of mine was married the first time around in a registry office.

One divorce later and he wanted to get married again. His bride to be wanted a church wedding. The C of E said no, we aren't marrying a divorcee. The official RC stance was that they didn't recognise the registry office wedding, so they got married in an RC church.

He was a Roman Catholic, his second missus a Church of England member.

I don't know if this still applies, but at one time if a Catholic married a non-Catholic in a Roman Catholic Church, they wanted them to sign a document stating they would give any kids a Catholic education.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Tricky.

Slow acting posion should be OK though.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Who cares what people who believe in the sky pixie believe?
                    Anyone who wants to get married in a church, it would seem.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      That view has changed in the church recently, thankfully, as has also the view of pre baptism burial ( shifted quite along time ago it has to be said ) which was an extemely cruel and twisted thinking.

Don't expect sense from the catholic church, it is a machine with singular doctrine so far away from the "see that Jesus chap, I think the world would be better for all if we all lived life with his approach" movement.
                      Last edited by minestrone; 23 June 2012, 17:37.

Comment

Working...
                      X